Intex plumbing

TCJ4

Jan 19, 2013
Aruba
Hi,i'm new to this forum and i have an intex 15x48" metal frame pool and and i'm planning on getting an intex 2650 gallon/hour sand filter and having it pvc plumbed and i'm wondering what size pvc is best to use 1,5 or 1,25 inch and what kind of adapters can u use or how can u make the adapters u'r self???

Hi, i'm getting a intex 2650 gallon/hour sand filter and i want to hook it up to an intex 15x48" pool and i'm planning to get it hard plumbed and i want to put another thru the wall skimmer and a main drain at one off the bottom corner, and i'm wondering if a have to put it right below the skimmer or if i could put it some where else???? Below is the link of the new skimmer

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Tools-8939G ... mmer+8939g

I don't remember reading of an intex with a main drain, but I don't see why not. I've not dealt with main drains, but I don't see why it wouldn't be anywhere you want it to be. You just have to run the plumbing to it. If you've dished out your intex you probably want to put the drain at the lowest point. I'm sure others can chime in with suggestion/corrections :).

TCJ4 said:
Thx for the input,i want to use one of the large strainer that comes with the pump as the main drain
The sidewall type? Just be aware there are potential entrapment issues that you need to address.

Sent via Tapatalk...

TCJ4 said:
Wil that be an issue if I put it on the sidewall then??

I don't know. If you are using the stock Intex pumps I suspect not but that may change when you change the plumbing. The cover over those is designed with specific suction in mind I would guess. On the other hand they probably also designed it with a large safety margin. If properly designed no matter what level of suction you have the design would prevent entrapment.

Thx for the info,I also didn't' think it would be a problem because the new pump would be plumbed with the skimmer and the strainer,so the water will come from 50% the skimmer and 50% the strainer(main drain) and I'm also thinking about adding another return

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TCJ4 said:
Thx for the info,I also didn't' think it would be a problem because the new pump would be plumbed with the skimmer and the strainer,so the water will come from 50% the skimmer and 50% the strainer(main drain) and I'm also thinking about adding another return
http://www.poolsafely.gov/faqs/#108

In truth the law only applies to commercial pools. It is also no longer true that an "unblockable" cover is sufficient for compliance with the law. A secondary system like a vacuum break must be installed in commercial pools. Residential pools are not subject to the law but prudence in this day and age of litigation says to me that you should have covers that at least mitigate the risk in the manner of the old "unblockable" interpretation used by the CPSC.

That said, setting suction to 50/50 is not considered sufficient in the event that there is a valve that can adjust this. If you have two suctions and they are fixed so that one cannot be turned off while the other is on - then I think that qualifies but again all of this regulation is only applicable to commercial/public pools.

I think both can work for your pool, but the feedback you will find on here is the 2650 is probably worth it if the price difference is not too much. While the 1600 will work fine for pool circulation, the 2650 will work better if you decide to use a suction side cleaner.

TCJ4 said:
Thx for the input,i think i'm going with the 2650 ,also with the 2650 gph i can run the pump less hour
You should be able to. By the way, our general recommendation is to run the pump just long enough to keep the water clarity to your liking. This, most likely, won't be long with that pump on your small pool, so you may want to spread out this filter time a couple of shorter times during the day to keep the surface clean.

TCJ4, I have been modifing the Intex pools for a good three years. Make sure you take a close look how others have modified their pools when adding a skimmer like the "real" pools have. Personally, I would make sure (like most of the threads so far) you have valves on each return so you can have the ability to turn both off to work on pump and/or filter incase you need to or to select which one you would like to use. I would also recommend to help out keeping the pool clean, to put the cover on when not using the pool. With the valves you can turn off the skimmer when the cover is on. The key is education, show everyone the proper operation of the pool and why we turn this valve on or off.

Additionally, because I went to the 2500gph cartridge filter upgrade versus the original weak pump on my little intex......congratulations you now MUST educate your pool users on the suction hazard of pool returns. Especially if someone forgets to have both the skimmer and that screen looking intake open, I promise you with just the screen looking skimmer open, you have a major suction hazard in your pool and that upgraded pumpl!! Someone can get hurt or at the least, surprised when they get sucked up into it. Just make sure pool supervision KNOWS what is going on and that both "intakes" are open. OK? Been there done that. Fortunately, we just had some "surprised" kids and no real damage or life threatening situations......your mileage may vary. For planning I would keep the new skimmer and that "factory" screen intake two to three feet from each other.

Plumbing up my Intex this year, I will have one and only one "return" putting water back into the pool. You will have alot of flow with that pump.....plenty to keep things moving. If you really want to "stir" the pool up, consider purchasing one of the venturi type returns available that will magnify the effect of the return jet AND is built with a 45 degree or so curve in it to get the flow going to mix stuff up. Got mine on Amazon and it has regular 1 1/2 plumbing fittings.

I would recommend you go with 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe AND I would suggest you have flexable PVC somewhere in the mix so that the hard plumbing has some flex between it and your pool. You don't have a stationary pool, it is going to flex, so plan on it. Again, someone on the forum here has a nice picture to show you that setup. Just keep looking and it's been referenced.

Dan's link to everything is a supperb primer on this stuff. I will repeat again that the 1 1/2 electrical conduit fitting makes everything nice and easy.

Be a hero (like I will this season) and add the fountain return (and associated valving/plumbing) to your Intex pool to really up the fun factor. That is THE absolutely best idea for an Intex pool since the whole hard plumbing thing was developed.

Good luck with the pool.

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.