Muriatic Acid: Where to buy

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
Where do you all purchase Muriatic Acid? Are there different grades/quality?
I have a salt water in-ground pool and figure that I will be needing plenty of it when the builder turns the pool over to me in 30 days.
I also installed the Pentair IntelliPh system but have not turned it on yet.

At a local hardware store in the paint section, I can get a single gallon of 31% for $7.25; outside in the garden section they have 2-packs of a different brand for $11. The local Home Depot here only has some kind called "Safer" muriatic acid, I can't figure out what it is so I don't buy it.

jjslinger said:
The local Home Depot here only has some kind called "Safer" muriatic acid, I can't figure out what it is so I don't buy it.

The claim is that the safer acid has less fumes. According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the HD website, "Safer" muriatic acid is less than 25% concentration. The rest is likely to be water. So compared to the normal pool acid (at 31.5%), I guess it is a bit “safer” - but that does not mean it is safe and it still needs to be handled with the normal precautions. A gallon of the safer stuff is listed at $7.27 where as 2 gallons of the 31.5% is around 11 dollars.
Mike

Mike_W said:
The claim is that the safer acid has less fumes. According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the HD website, "Safer" muriatic acid is less than 25% concentration. The rest is likely to be water. So compared to the normal pool acid (at 31.5%), I guess it is a bit “safer” - but that does not mean it is safe and it still needs to be handled with the normal precautions. A gallon of the safer stuff is listed at $7.27 where as 2 gallons of the 31.5% is around 11 dollars.
Mike
Thanks Mike. The "Safer" stuff did not have any concentration info on the bottle itself, and I was too lazy to look up the MSDS.

I should also mention that a chemical store around here sells 4-packs of the 31%; you have to return the bottles for reuse. I see this in the trucks of all the local pool maintenance guys. I think it's a bit cheaper than the 2-packs for $11, but I don't want to store that much muriatic acid, so I pay a little more for the smaller quantities.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.