No more trees...Now pool gets too hot.

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Any ideas on Man Made Shade for an above ground Pool? We used to have trees...big ones 85 feet or taller on the east...neighbors got a pool and they all got cut down. Now my pool topped out at 96 degrees last summer and it wasn't even fun to get in it. Does anyone have any ideas for man made shade for a pool that doesn't involve replanting a tree on my side of the fence? I can't stand when the water is warmer than the air temp...and the air is 87 degrees.

I know some on here have used fountains (homemade or store bought) to cool the water down. Once I get around to hard plumbing my pool I plan on putting an old adjustable shower head and valve on a Tee above the return.

Aeration definitely helps. 3-4 degrees is easy to cool with a simple sprayer made out of 1-1/2" PVC and a few fittings.

You could also look into a sail-shade. This past summer was exceptional though, so you may want to see what a normal year is like before committing to an expense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can also do some geothermal plumbing. The ground is always around 55 degrees so if you run coils of pipe in the ground and push water through it into the pool. Kinda like running the solar panels at night except the temperature of the ground is always a constant.

X-PertPool said:
You can also do some geothermal plumbing. The ground is always around 55 degrees so if you run coils of pipe in the ground and push water through it into the pool. Kinda like running the solar panels at night except the temperature of the ground is always a constant.

So thats why my 100 lb Newfie always digs a hole to lay in duting the summer...we just thought she liked being dirty!!!

I have a 12' diameter offset umbrella. I got it so that I would have a shaded portion of the pool to float in. It shades a nice section of the surface but also keeps the late afternoon West sun off a bit of the side of the pool. I leave it open 24/7 thru the summer. It makes a difference!

A friend in Galveston has a fountain that attaches to a return. It does a great job of cooling the pool. Swivels, can be raised and lowered, adjustable height of spray. Just noticed it at Warehouse Pool Supply for $25.

I am curious if this reflective bubble wrap would work to keep a pool cool:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13357-56291-BP24025_0__

716511320017lg.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.