Newbie with question about salting a chlorine pool

Jan 18, 2013
My 13 yo son had hands that prune like crazy when he uses the pool, to the point of being painful. He prunes more than everyone else, but we all do. How do I measure the salt level in the pool? If I bring it up to 1500 or 2000ppm will I harm my pool equipment, and will it help with the pruning?

It is an indoor pool, so no direct sunlight. Everything else looks good, except for FC which is a little too high still. Testing from tonight:
CYA - 30
TA - 100
pH - 7.4
FC and TC - 9 (currently just waiting for it to slowly come down)
CH - 225-250 range.

Thanks!
Rick

Hello Rick,
Welcome to the group. You using pucks? Indoor pools don't need CYA, no sun light to break down the chlorine. Yes you can add salt for a better feel. Many do. You're pool won't be at zero though, the chemicals added will add salt over a period of time.
Some people also add borates and report the water feels silkier.

You can use Aqua Check salt test strips to measure how much salt is already in your pool. You could also take in a water sample to your pool store and that should get you in the ballpark. Your starting salt level should not be zero. You can order them from http://tftestkits.net or your pool store should have some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.