solar covers on windy days

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
Our 24' round AG pool solar cover just blew off. We are having windy gusts today - I'd say approaching 50mph at times.

Our old solar cover was heavier a "spaceage" cover or some such, double thick, twice as heavy. Had it for 5 years but was too heavy for my hands now, arthritis problems, got this new, lighter one. First time it has blown off ever, even in storms.

So, what's the trick....like for example if we go away for the weekend or vacation, how to keep it from blowing off? I poured water on the top to hold it for now, but anyone have suggestions for keeping it in place?

Make sure the whole thing is flat on the water, even around the ladder. I've had mine blow off when it gets windy enough, so I don't think any method is foolproof.

Ditto, flat to the water and edges tucked under the rail so the wind can't catch it. The water on top ma help but it could grow algae up there if its warm enough

Many people don't cut their cover down to size, they let it twist up on the sides, the wind gets under and starts peeling it off liek a bad sunburn.
I highly recommend cutting it to within an inch or two of the wall, mine never lifts and the pool sits in the middle of a 4 acre field without any trees to slow the winds.

I also cut mine into pieces (in my case 4 strips) so my weak hands can move them around better. It is still a chore and if I am alone I need to be inside the pool to put the strips back on, but I can do it by myself this way. Then I clemp them at the joints so each clamp holds parts of two strips. No problems with it working, not blowing, and no tears. But a reel would be so much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.