Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar covers on windy days

1. Back To Top    #1

solar covers on windy days

Our 24' round AG pool solar cover just blew off. We are having windy gusts today - I'd say approaching 50mph at times.

Our old solar cover was heavier a "spaceage" cover or some such, double thick, twice as heavy. Had it for 5 years but was too heavy for my hands now, arthritis problems, got this new, lighter one. First time it has blown off ever, even in storms.

So, what's the trick....like for example if we go away for the weekend or vacation, how to keep it from blowing off? I poured water on the top to hold it for now, but anyone have suggestions for keeping it in place?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2
    Make sure the whole thing is flat on the water, even around the ladder. I've had mine blow off when it gets windy enough, so I don't think any method is foolproof.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Ditto, flat to the water and edges tucked under the rail so the wind can't catch it. The water on top ma help but it could grow algae up there if its warm enough
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Many people don't cut their cover down to size, they let it twist up on the sides, the wind gets under and starts peeling it off liek a bad sunburn.
    I highly recommend cutting it to within an inch or two of the wall, mine never lifts and the pool sits in the middle of a 4 acre field without any trees to slow the winds.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: solar covers on windy days

I leave it oversized and use clamps around the perimeter.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: solar covers on windy days

I also cut mine into pieces (in my case 4 strips) so my weak hands can move them around better. It is still a chore and if I am alone I need to be inside the pool to put the strips back on, but I can do it by myself this way. Then I clemp them at the joints so each clamp holds parts of two strips. No problems with it working, not blowing, and no tears. But a reel would be so much easier.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska