First Winter Pool Owner - General Concerns about my numbers

westgd

Oct 16, 2012
Charleston, SC
Hello,

I just tested my water (TF-100 kit) and wanted to get some opinions on these values:

Ph - 7.5
Ch - 8.5
TA - 60
CYA - 40
Hardness and Salt levels not tested but my SWG indicates acceptable salt levels.

I have my pump running 4 hrs a day and am not adding any chlorine but the levels have been sitting around 9.0-8.5ppm for about two months. Should I be concerned with how high it is and will it damage anything? If I need to lower it, what do you recommend?

The TA and CYA seem on the lower end of acceptable values, should I be concerned with these?

Thanks

Re: First Winter Pool Owner - General Concerns about my numb

Those numbers are OK. I would reduce % of the SWG or reduce the run time a bit to get the FC down around 3-4ppm.

Other than that, I would leave your pool as it is until Spring and then up the CYA to 70ppm.

duraleigh said:
Those numbers are OK. I would reduce % of the SWG or reduce the run time a bit to get the FC down around 3-4ppm.

Other than that, I would leave your pool as it is until Spring and then up the CYA to 70ppm.

Thanks for the response. I've actually had my SWG turned off (And changed to 0%) for these two months. My pool is in direct sunlight for about 12 hrs/day so I figured the combination of my SWG not producing chlorine, sunlight burning it off, and temps have been below 60f that my FC should have dropped easily. I decided on a 4hr/day pump run time since it completed one water cycle, will reducing this to say 2 hrs/day effectively drop the FC or am I going to have to do a part drain/replace?

Reducing the pump run time to 2 hours should be fine as long as the water is below 50 degrees.

Something sounds inconsistent. It really doesn't seem likely that the SWG is at 0%, and has been for two months, and you aren't adding chlorine some other way, and the FC level is 8+. I suspect that the SWG isn't really at 0% and reducing the pump run time will take care of it. But there is some chance that the SWG is truly off and there is some mistake with the chlorine test and FC is actually lower than you think it is.

Anyway, as long as FC is actually around 8-9, there is no problem with it being at that level. No need to replace water or neutralize the chlorine. With CYA at 40 that is a little high, but not enough to worry about.

I agree, it's really inconsistent and I've tested the chlorine levels via multiple methods yet still same result. I'll try reducing the pump run time but was really more concerned with the chemicals effects on the damaging the pool equipment. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.