Jandy Aquapure 1400

Jan 20, 2013
I'm getting error message 170 which is front panel board. Not having success in looking for a replacement since the part is discontinued. What's the best option here? Replace the whole system or is it worth it to keep searching for the part. Trying to see the least expensive options.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks

Parts are difficult to find on that unit. You may find a usable 1400 control box on ebay or craigslist...sometimes people change out the whole system when their cell wears out and then sell the control box. If your cell is over three years old, then it may be more economical to start fresh with a complete new system.

In all my years (ha ha), front boards are what i have replaced the least of on these units. I know this will sound a bit unorthodox but it may just be the tri sensor. When Jandy had trouble with them some years back, they were causing all sorts of codes unrelated to the 172, 186 which were actually related to the tri sensor. You can do a test on the tri sensor that is pretty easy. Remove the sensor and put your thumb on any of the three sensors (little shiny disks) It doesn't matter which one as you will do this for all three. Now slide your thumb off the disk, and if you can feel a ridge between the disk and the epoxy it is set in, that is evidence that the disk has receded, and has probably let water in behind the sensor, and caused it to fail. If your sensor is made with white epoxy, there's a good chance that it has failed. The new ones are now made with black epoxy, and are equipped with a small "daughter" board that calibrates (fools) the front board, and allows more stable operation. The sensors i believe aren't too expensive when purchased on-line.

Manufacturer claims cell life to be around 5 years (10,000 hrs.). So if you are close to that, you may want to consider a new unit. That unit is still available, but the cell is redesigned, and requires a bit of re-plumbing. However the box should be plug and play.

170 means you're getting low incoming voltage to the board. This is typically caused by a failing transformer or the board may have failed itself. Someone above mentioned that the sensor may be the cause, and they are correct.

Disconnect the flow sensor from the power interface board. Turn your pump off, then back on (this turns your Aquapure off and back on). You'll see -WAIT- on the LCD (Aquapure running thru diagnostics). When -WAIT- is finished, you'll hear a beep and you'll see codes on the LCD. *IF YOU STILL SEE 170, YOUR BOARD OR TRANSFORMER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.* If you only see 172, 185, 186, your flow sensor needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind the sometimes not-so-obvious obvious - you may actually have a low flow problem, or actual low incoming voltage from your power supplier.

Do you still have that front board panel available? I have error code 170 and finally got in touch with customer service. I told them I replaced the back board and still have the code. Additionally the front control panel doesn't respond so they confirmed I need to replace the front panel, which I can't seem to find as it has been discontinued. Thank you!

sunnySD said:
Never mind...just wanted to let poolguy15 know that his troubleshooting tips saved me bucks and turns out it is a bad sensor from code 170. thanks everyone!

Glad it's working again for you. When the board goes out, you'll need to replace the plastic box with a metal box. Part number APUREM. This comes with everything you'll need, and is compatible with your current cell/sensor/DC cable.

sunnySD said:
The tri-sensor does not appear to fit my system. It is much smaller...can anyone tell me what part I need to make it compatible? adaptor? thanks!

What part number did you purchase? Do you have the 2-port, square-style cell? Or the 3-port, cylindrical cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.