Hours to heat spa

Hemess

Aug 6, 2012
Norman, OK
So I finally had my gas line hooked up on December 31....however it takes about 4 hours, sometimes 5 hours, to bring my water up to 100 degrees. I am very frustrated. Is this normal?

Usually starting from 40 degree water.

You have something going on. Either the heater is too small, the spa is huge, or you're also heating the pool. Make sure the spa is isolated completely from the pool when running the heater. There should be no spillover.

When I heat the spa, I move the valves around and draw the water in the spa down a few inches to allow for the displacement when we get in. There's nop point heating it to just let it overflow into the pool. I also don't run the booster or the air jets, and I stick the cap from a can of spray paint over the air intake pipe, because cold air being injected defeats the whole purpose.

You can crunch some numbers. A gallon of water is about 8 pounds. One BTU raises one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit. Calculate how many pounds of water and how many degrees change and look at the BTU rating of your heater. That will tell you how long it should take to heat it in a perfect world. If it takes more than twice that, something is wrong. You lose some heat to the outside air and warming the concrete walls.

I have switched all the valves, and I am never heating the pool or having a spillover when the spa is running. I think something is wrong too, since most people say it takes them around 20 minutes. No, we wait 4 to 5 long hours...my pool builder says all is fine.

Yesterday my spa was on for 6 hours...I think my gas bill is going to be awful.

I do have a large spa, and the BTU is only 199.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Silly question ... Is suction coming from the spa and not the pool?

How far is the heater from the spa? Previous house would take a while to heat the spa in the winter, but the equipment pad was a good distance from the pool ... Lots of heat loss in the underground pipe.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Silly question ... Is suction coming from the spa and not the pool?

The 2 valves are like this:
1. Drain closed on pool, open on spa.
2. Returns closed on pool, open on spa

I am so frustrated, and I know my gas bill will be outrageous...I have run the spa 12 hours this weekend to use it for 3 hours. Cry

That actually sounds like a fairly long plumbing run, but I am not sure how much it would affect the heat rate. You are certainly losing a lot of heat to the surrounding ground ... I have read of some people actually putting insulation around their pipes before filling with dirt.

My heater is on the opposite side of the house and its still only around 20 min even in the winter. My pool is 42,000 gallons and the heater will do it 1* per hour. I think you have something wrong. On a bright note last year I would hear the spa up 5 nights a week and heated the pool 3 times in one month and my bill was only $150. And when I would hear the pool it would run 30 or so hours.

So....talked to pool builder today. He tried to blow me off and blame it on weather and surface area, but I stuck with it. He investigated and called the heater manufacturer. Looks like it has to do with my gas installation and he is going to talk to installer. Hopefully it can get solved. He informed me it was about 800 gallons....I didn't tell him I had said 9300 and 400 gallons. Lol. Progress.

There are more problems with the spa related to valves...but I will spare you the details as it happens after we are done using the spa.

Update: my gas line was replaced today with a larger, 1 inch pipe rather than the 3/4 inch pipe that was originally installed. I was excited to come home and heat the spa and see how much faster it heated up....however, it appears that someone (pool builder or plumber) left my gas on all day. Nice.

Still worried about my gas bill. Yikes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.