Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Debris under loop loc safety cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Debris under loop loc safety cover

Have lots of trees and lots of wind in my location. Loop Loc mesh cover is safe, but it does not keep the pool clean becasue leaves, other tree dropping, and various small debris items blow under the edge of the cover. Have made springs as tight as possibel but, since the raised coping results in a slight space between the cover edge and the pool deck, everything small gets blown in and I have a very green, dirty pool at the spring opening. Suggestions?
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    24' Round AGP, 13,500gal, 1.5hp Hayward
    Cartridge
    TF100 Test Kit BBB Baby!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

That is the way it goes with a mesh safety cover. You might find a way to adjust things that reduces it somewhat, but some stuff will always get it. One option is to peel back a corner of the pool now and then and add some chlorine, which also requires some circulation. It also helps if you keep the pool open when the water is above about 55 degrees. The warmer the water the higher the chances of getting algae.

See this article for advice on cleaning up a green swamp of a pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks for reply. I will follow advice next off season.
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    Cartridge

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have similar issues. I'm considering making a pad, similar to the draft stoppers that you put against the bottom of the door to hopefully act as a seal at the bottom of the cover. Not sure if it will work, but it would be nice not to open to a worm mass grave every spring.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    Yes, I have been considering similar blocking efforts using small "noodles," garden hose, or even water bags used on solid covers. However, I am afraid debris will then be trapped on the cover, especially with water bags, and I know it will cause a big mess all along the edge. So, I'm hoping a smarter person than I am will come up with a better idea.
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    Cartridge

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm glad I read this. I"m looking at getting a loop loc cover for my pool due to the amount of debris I get into my pool.

I'll have to follow along and see what y'all come up with.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

7. Back To Top    #7
    This is the first time for me opening the pool (18 x 36 vinyl lined), and I have a loop loc mesh cover as well. I was quite surprised how much **** had made it under the cover. And yes, the amount of dead worms is unreal and disgusting!

I'm definitely going to be looking into making some form of "stop" to prevent material from getting into the pool from the sides. Something like wacky noodle material around the perimeter seems like it will work well.

rich

8. Back To Top    #8

My Loop Loc Remedy

I have had good results with an old garden hose positioned around the perimeter of my pool underneath the cover. I still have some leaves and debris, but it's considerably less than what it used to be.
    18,000 IG Vinyl
    Solar Heat