Need help how to replumb to replace burned out pump motor

Jan 17, 2013
Hello all, new to this forum and I'm hoping I'll get the help I'm seeking.

I've got a Hayward Super II Pump, 2.0 THP, whose motor has burned out. It's been going for awhile (bearings would squeal every time pump came on, especially in cold weather) so it's no surprise.

I've had my pool maintenance company come out and give me an estimate and confirm that it is indeed a bad motor.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I'd like to try and save some money by doing the replacement myself.

However, the motor only has about 1.5 inches of clearance between it and my garage, so there doesn't appear to be room to pull the motor away from the wet side of the pump.
[attachment=2:3411rlat]Motor clearance to garage wall resized.jpg[/attachment:3411rlat]

I thought, no problem, I'll just cut the intake and outlet lines, replace the motor and then put in union connectors so next time the pump needs servicing it won't require cutting the piping.
[attachment=0:3411rlat]Overview pump resized.jpg[/attachment:3411rlat]

It would seem though, that this pump has been serviced enough times that there is nowhere left to cut on the intake pipe.
[attachment=1:3411rlat]Intake to pump resized.jpg[/attachment:3411rlat]

I'd really like to minimize the patches on the piping so I'm trying to avoid going past the jandy 3-way valve.

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Motor clearance to garage wall resized.jpg
    Motor clearance to garage wall resized.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Intake to pump resized.jpg
    Intake to pump resized.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Overview pump resized.jpg
    Overview pump resized.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 73
Re: Need help how to replumb to replace burned out pump moto

Arghh, been there done that. There are a couple things that might work:
- if you cut just to the right of the first coupling on the left with the sticker on it, you can probably buy an inside-pipe fitting from a plumbing supply store (big box won't have it) that will slide into the pipe and you can replumb it from that point. That assumes the pipe underneath those couplings is Sch40, which it may or may not be.
- you can downsize to 1.5" pipe for that 1' by cutting all the pipe off the valve and gluing it to the inside surface (those valves take 2" couplings outside or 1.5" pipe inside).

Pull the 6 bolts out of the pump and there "might" be enough room to angle the motor assembly out of there (assuming you are only looking to replace the motor).

Certainly worth a try before cutting pipe ... which it looks like would require replacing a LOT of pipe and valves.

Also consider a 2-speed motor replacement to lower energy use.

I think you have enough room to do what Jason said.

You can remove the 2 inch coupling from the Jandy valve body most of the time with some careful cutting and prying. Probably an 80% success rate. If you want to make that attempt I could describe the process. Or the suggestion of using the 1 1/2 port would be easier if it hasn't already been used.

Looks like pipe cutting is going to be my only option. I've tried removing the bolts and angling the motor out and it gets jammed against the garage wall each and every time. I need about another 0.5-1 inch and I could clear it.

Carolina pool, would you please describe the process of cutting and prying to remove from the jandy valve? Not sure if I'll try that or the 1 1/2 port. Goodness knows I'd sure love to have a clean run from the valve to the pump.

If DBfans suggestion doesn't give you enough room, call me and I will talk you through the process.

Click on the website below, click on contact and my cell phone # is listed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.