Use to have swg now going to chlorine ...any ideas?

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
So our old pool was swg and I loved the feel of the water and how well it reacted to swimsuits, skin, hair, etc.. Our new pool will be chlorine and I can already see my blondies (kids) turning green and my skin being dry and itchy. Please tell me this won't be the case. I thought I heard someone say there is something that can be added to chlorine pools to make the water silkier and more gentle feeling. Any one know? After having a swg for past 5 yrs the thought of chlorine is intimidating and scary.... Help. Thanks.

First, a SWG pool IS a chlorine pool. The cell just generated the chlorine from the salt in the water to save you the hassle of adding the chlorine yourself everyday. I would recommend you NOT start useing trichlor pucks or any solid form of chlorine ... only use liquid chlorine (bleach).

hair turning green is due to copper ... don't ever use algaecide with copper in it (or any of the mineral systems) ... and you will not have this problem.

Many people add salt to their pool without a SWG just to get the same feel ... me included. Keep around 2000+ppm of salt in the water and you will have the same effect.

The other option is borates to give a more silky feel ... but this in completely optional and required you to get yout pool balanced (TA specifically) prior to adding it.

As long as you follow Pool School you should have no problems. It is out of balance Ph that causes irritated skin and eyes, or chloramines that are too high, not chlorine itself. In fact your salt water pool was a chlorine pool. Also green hair is usually the result of copper in the water, either from algaecides or as a result of corrosive water coming into contact with metal elements. Keep an eye on your water and you should have no problems....
(adding to what jblizzle already sad) :)

Thank you thank you! Helpful info. And will read up on liquid bleach. Well unlike 6 years ago when we were getting quotes for our first pool and swg were all the rage ...this time all the co. we spoke with discouraged swg. About a year ago when I had a leak in our spa and spoke to several pool co. Several told me they no longer do swg at all. The co. we chose this time said they do not recommend swg but they will do them HOWEVER they would not warranty any stone work. We have a lot of stone work. So, chlorine it is.

Seems like TX has very soft stone work that gets damaged by the salt ... many other places in the country to do have that problem.

Liquidator or stenner pump might be a good option to help maintain the chlorine level if you insist on getting stone work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.