Rust spots? (If that is what they are??)

Apr 7, 2012
I've only been a pool owner for under a year... and with the help of TFP, I've learned A LOT. My water is finally where I want it to be... and I have a firm understanding of how different variables effect each other.

Now I've got a new problem...

Rust spots. I've read that they can come from a leaf left in the pool... or from other sources.

The part that concerns me is that they seem to be forming more along the bottom edge and not the very bottom (where you might find an occasional leaf... which I often get rid of quickly).

Could this be something serious like some metal rebar that is "leeching" or something else? I tried scrubbing at one of them with no success... albeit, I really didn't scrub very well as they tend to be in the deep part of the pool. Some are the size of a penny some are smaller some are the size of a quarter.

Any thoughts? What causes them, what have you done to get rid of them... how do you know if it's serious issue or a cosmetic one?

Thanks!
Pete

First thing you need to do is determine if they're metals or organic. Take some vitamin C tablets and crush them up and put them in a sock and hold it on the spots for a little while. If that lightens it or it disappears completely, it's metal staining. If that doesn't work take a chlorine tablet and hold it on the spots for a little while. It that lightens it it's organic. If it's organic you can reise the FC to the high end of recommended and hold it there and they will lighten and maybe go away completely.

I've had the FC to high end a few times and it didn't change anything... I'll give the Vitamin C tablets a go on the smaller (which happen to be the newer) ones and I'll report back here!

Thanks!
Pete :)

I have not tried to the Vitamin C tablets yet (too cold to get in and place them exactly where I want them)... I did see an "EraseIt" type stone goes on the end of my pool pole.

Anyone ever use it?

FixItPete said:
I have not tried to the Vitamin C tablets yet (too cold to get in and place them exactly where I want them)... I did see an "EraseIt" type stone goes on the end of my pool pole.

Anyone ever use it?
I have not used the stone.

But I did get some rust spots in the deep end when the fence was replaced. The tiniest nail head will leave a large rust spot. I stuck a smooth rock in a knee-high stocking with some mashed up tablets and tied it all off with a long string. Then I lowered it onto the spot. The pool brush helps push it into position if it slides.

I have seen what you describe occur after a lawn was fertilized with iron and they got some in the pool. If it's steel or tie wires from the pool structure, you can usually brush most of it away and it will reoccur in a couple of days.

We don't fertilize... so that is likely not it. However, anything is possible. I sure hope it isn't steel or ties from structure. That would really stink... I have to assume there isn't a "fix" for that, huh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.