Motor/Pump Repair

Mar 19, 2010
I think my skimmers got too full of leaves and caused the pump to start taking in air. At some point the thermal protection kicked in, but now I can't get the pump to prime.

When I turn it on, the motor starts but doesn't sound normal (has kind of a whine that gets more high-pitched the longer it's on). The water in the pump basket is sucked out but doesn't seem to have the power to prime. It only runs about 5-10 seconds before the thermal protection shuts it off again.

Because of my schedule right now, I'm leaning toward getting someone out to look at it. Any recommendations in the Houston area? The Pool Man in Tomball did a remodel for us a few years ago so I could call them, but am open to other suggestions.

Also, what are the chances the pump/motor are going to be salvageable? Or am I likely looking at replacing them? The equipment is at least 5 years old, but I haven't had any problems before now.

Thanks!

It sounds like an air leak on the suction side somewhere. That will cause the pump not to prime. However if the pump ran dry it may have warped something in the wet end an that's why it's not priming. It's probably worth it to have it looked at but don't be surprised if it's more economical to replace it if that has happened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.