Gas connections

Jan 13, 2013
A question for the gas experts:
I am currently overseas, and for the last two years have been using a setup that connects my grill to my main home propane tank. Basically there is a regulator connected to the tank, and then I have a 30' length of rubber hose (the kind used for air-powered tools, such as in an auto repair shop). The hose connects the tank/regulator directly to the grill, and it works perfectly.

My question is this: is there any problem with this setup? Can I use the same setup for my home in Florida?

There are hoses and fittings designed for portable gas connections. But please be aware that there is a difference between appliances that use propane and NG. You can't just hookup any gas grill to home's NG supply.

Just on the surface, I have my doubts that it meets code. Having a 30' rubber hose laying on the ground that could easily be damaged and result in an explosion :shock:

But, then what is the legal length of a hose to do this? As I know many people that hook their grills up to home NG supply with rubber hoses. I am certain there are details in the FL code that you would have to investigate to meet code ... but there is still the question of the amount of risk you are accepting.

Do it properly. Run a copper line from the tank or T off of the line that is already there. This is the proper way to do it for propane. Rubber lines/hose are a no no.

As a hvac service tech, in KY and IN all gas connectors must either be hard pipe or an AGA approved gas appliance connector. Thehard pipe is either blblack iron or copper, an AGA approved connector will have some means of protecting the connector hose. Examples of good connectors are corrugated tubing with proprietary ends and requires a certification by the mfgr to install, commercial appliance connectors less than 4ft with a lanyard connected to a quick release, or a special hose material with several layers of internal armor to protect it from being cut. The least expensive solution on lp or propane will be the buried copper line. I tell my customers to have the lp supplier to run the necessary lines and set the pressures properly, the lp company has access to tubing engineered for this purpose and is usually less expensive. I have seen instances of homeowners doing their own gas work and their insurance refuse to pay after a fire. Air hose tubing is not intended for gas and would be dangerous to use. Gas attacks some types of plastics and rubbers, natural gas should never be used with copper. Natural gas is corrosive to copper and will eventually eat through. Please have a trained and bonded servicer do your gas work!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.