Decision between three options for oval above ground pool

Jan 11, 2013
edited to add link to the revlation pool, however we can't find links to the aqua leader or the vogue legend that is part of our problem.

good morning / afternoon / evening (morning here in ottawa)

First post after some lengthy reading over the last couple of days and nights.

My family is in the process of deciding between three oval pool options and the mighty interweb has not been as forthcoming with answers to my pool model options as i might have liked. Hope someone here has come across at least of these pools and can provide a opinion or feedback. The two pool companies we are deciding between are providing basically the same motor and filter system and salt water generator so the decision really is just about the pool itself.

We have heard many negative sales tactics over the last little while and frankly no longer know what to believe.

Here are the models:

Vogue - Legend 15x26 oval pool

Vogue - Revelation (now called Pinache) 15x26 oval pool
http://www.piscinesvogue.com/piscines.p ... 8#piscines

Aqua Leader (or is it Vogue as the flyer says one thing but the booklet says Vogue) Stylus 15x26 oval pool

Store 1 originally tried to get us to buy the 15x30 Vogue- Oceania, but that will not fit in the yard well, but we did not know that until we recently measured in the snow the footprint plus deck, but up to that point the sales rep was chirping about the only pools he likes to sell in the oval are the Oceania because of their "elephant feet" and their no screw technology, but when we told him about the size issue on the next visit, and the Oceania is not available in the 15x26, there no longer appeared to be a problem with the Vogue Legend pool which from the looks of it does not have the "elephant" feet, and uses screws, does this non elephant foot design make the pool any less strong?

Store 2 also did its fair bit of negative selling, but has now provided us with the other two options, Revelation or the Stylus. Store 2 says the Revelation is a beefier pool with larger and stronger posts and is an overall "superior" pool to the Stylus but does not have elephant feet, but the Stylus however, the apparent less beefy pool has the elephant feet Store 1 was talking so much about when we were looking at the Oceania in the 15x30 oval size. The back and forth on this is nuts.

All things being even, the pools are the same depth and from my understanding are all basically coming from the same overall manufacturer Wilbar, but Crud, apple to apple comparisons seem impossible.

Any feedback anyone can provide either from personal experience of having one of these pools or from the technology / design of the pools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

dottawa

Re: Decision between three options for oval above ground poo

Hi dottawa,

In my opinion the Aqua Leader is the best of the three. The http://wilbargroup.com/ has made a huge push and all these brands are now under the Wilbar rule. I have installed hundreds of both and find the engineering put into Aqua Leader is awesome. Twenty years in the business and every time I get to install an Aqua Leader I know that day is going to be a good lunch day! No problems equals more time for enjoying lunch on those days.

If you have anymore questions feel free to respond.

Dave
Link Removed

Thank you for your thoughts Mapoolguy,

as it stands right now the Aqua Leader is about $1,000.00 less expensive all other things being equal than the Vogue pool, the pools are the same size but so far the only thing different we have been told is that it is "beefier", we are taking that to mean it is a stronger pool. Given that we are looking at an oval and not round we were led to believe that beefier would be better but a $1,000.00 better?

All other opinions are welcome.

Honestly - if the two companies are bad mouthing and dealing in disinformation so much - I'm not sure I would be happy with either of them for a vendor.

I would generally agree, but they are the only two shops in town who offer the size we are looking for.

I looked into buying a pool from a supplier like poolsuppliescanada . ca but then couldn't find anyone who would do just the installation. The gentleman at store 2, has been the more helpful and we are leaning towards his choices, thus the vogue vs aqua leader and the questioning behind the $1,000.00 price difference.

We also have friends who have used store 2, but not for an oval.

my dad has had a kayak pool for over 30 years now and never had problem, not that i want expect 30yrs of no problems but like anyone else i want to get the best my money can buy for the price i'm paying.

dottawa said:
I would generally agree, but they are the only two shops in town who offer the size we are looking for.

I looked into buying a pool from a supplier like poolsuppliescanada . ca but then couldn't find anyone who would do just the installation. The gentleman at store 2, has been the more helpful and we are leaning towards his choices, thus the vogue vs aqua leader and the questioning behind the $1,000.00 price difference.

We also have friends who have used store 2, but not for an oval.

my dad has had a kayak pool for over 30 years now and never had problem, not that i want expect 30yrs of no problems but like anyone else i want to get the best my money can buy for the price i'm paying.

If your gut tells you that store 2 has your best interests at heart - then that's great - but get serious in checking those references. Oval vs. Round doesn't seem to be a huge delta in service and honesty - if Store 2 has that reputation - then trust them if you verify their work in person a few places.

$1000 more or less could be big or small - what ballpark is the total? If it's a 5K project then that's huge... if it's a 30K project then that's silly to worry over.

Beefier generally means that the uprights and top rails are bigger than comparable pools. Just because the pools are the same size doesn't mean they are the exact same footprint. Different manufacturers make their pools slightly different from one another. Like the wall lengths can be different and wall thickness can be different as well as how many uprights makes a difference too. Personally I think the installation plays a huge role in a pools life and stability. Check out my blog abovegroundpoolfinder.com/top-ten-above-ground-pool-contractor-questions-you-should-ask and look around for some bits of information that might help.
Dave

We live in a relatively new development and over the past five or so years both stores have installed their fair share of pools, though oddly we appear to be only ones looking at an oval. We have not heard anything negative regarding the installation so they both appear on the same footing.

Regarding the pricing we are talking about the difference between just under 8k and just under 9k net after taxes and after installation as between the two pools.

Thanks for the link to the blog.

I looked at those same manufacturers when I was researching my pool, all the research I did on Aqualeader led me to beleive they are a solid company with a good reputation making quality pools, plus their pools look great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for the feedback, i have found the same type of information regarding aqua leader, but have also found the same thing regarding the vogue pools, i am originally from montreal and know the areas where both of these pools come from as well, and given they are now both under the wilbar banner i suspect they are both quality built pools, the frustrating thing is why the 7k to 8k price jump between this Stylus from aqualeader and the epiphany/revelation from vogue. i even wrote to vogue about why some of their models are not listed on their site and they responded promptly with a talk to you dealer answer.

cramar I had a chance to look through your build, really nice work.

dottawa said:
Thanks for the feedback, i have found the same type of information regarding aqua leader, but have also found the same thing regarding the vogue pools, i am originally from montreal and know the areas where both of these pools come from as well, and given they are now both under the wilbar banner i suspect they are both quality built pools, the frustrating thing is why the 7k to 8k price jump between this Stylus from aqualeader and the epiphany/revelation from vogue. i even wrote to vogue about why some of their models are not listed on their site and they responded promptly with a talk to you dealer answer.

cramar I had a chance to look through your build, really nice work.

I say you ask the dealer to provide a detailed spec of the differnence - size in gauge or mm's thickness, types of materials, etc. Maybe they can't but they should be able to ask the manufacturer that info. It's possible this is all just puffery to allow them to have a stratification of prices and models with little real difference under the covers.

Well just cam back from vendor number 3.

I had found them yesterday while conducting my research and wasn't sure they would install to my location, but turns out they will. I called them up and spoke with a rep and asked if he could me email a spec package for their oval. Later in the day the email arrives with a professionally set out quote with pricing next to each item. I went in to see them today and the experience was rather positive, very little to no negative selling. The only issue is the pool is another name from the same company. The rep at this store effectively said that his store gets name a, the other store gets name b and the third store gets name c for their higher quality above ground pool category. They are effectively the same pools with different lipstick and mascara the structures are effectively the same. So now we are down to two choices within a few hundred dollars of each other. the Aqua Leader Stylus, which has a big Vogue Logo on the front page of the Stylus information sheet and the Vogue Discovery LX which i was able to find on the Vogue Website, and appears to more closely compare to the Oceania but in the 15x36 sizing. We expect to be making our decision in a day or so. I think both pools will serve us well, but my personality likes to have answers to all questions before making a decision and this has been a long journey to get these answers.

Once we decide i will post our decision along with the specs so that if anyone else is going through this "process" this can serve them at least a little bit.

I doubt you'll regret whichever pool you pick, both are really nice. I came very close to buying the Oceania, it's a great looking pool.

Well the decision is made, we went with store #3 and the Vogue Discovery LX 15x24. We are being provided a 1.5hp Hayward Pump, 2 speed, Hayward sand filter...

We have initially opted to forgo the SWG as the pricing at store 3 as well as the other two stores was almost $300 more than the online prices, so we may purchase the swg at time of installation or perhaps try the BBB method. We are unsure of building the whole deck right away or getting the pool fencing that goes around the edge of the pool with a small deck/landing at one end. Again, the kind of thing we will finalize as the install date approaches.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Now onto more reading about BBB, and solar heating.

Congratulations, that will be a big day when it comes. Great idea to plan it out well ahead of spring, you won't regret it.

Personally, I'd devote the SWG money to the deck and I'd forgoe the pool rail fence for a standard deck at one end or side of the pool.
Don't forget to contemplate (assuming an elevated deck): will the decking be even with, over or under the pool rail.

interesting that you brought up the deck,

my wife and i are having discussions about that because we have been told by all three stores the top rails on any of these pools are not for standing on. The deck designs that i have seen all appear to go under the top rail of the pool, but given what we have been told about the top rail, and the number of kids expected to be using it, we are thinking of building a deck the actually will go over the top rail and permit someone to stand right on the edge the deck. We are looking at the composite decking for the deck top and rounded edges for the ledges to the pool. We realize this will mean the deck will be higher relative to the water but to be honest, we are more concerned about the strength of the top rails and being able to have kids stand on the edge of the pool and do their cannonballs without us worrying or telling them they can't or pulling themselves out by means other than the ladder. I grew up with a kayak above ground pool and that thing was bulletproof with its design.

We will likely have to excavate about two feet of dirt to make the area level, so as soon as the weather is good enough we will excavating and putting in a small retaining wall as well. Looks like my list of projects just keeps getting longer and longer. Why am i getting a pool again? ;)

Bad part of covering the top rails is that servicing the pool liner is going to be a pain. Ideally your going to want a way to uncover the top rails. I'm not sure what would make it easy to service and still function as desired.

Sent via Tapatalk...

that is exactly what we were thinking about, and haven't yet gotten our brains to it yet, perhaps a bolt system for a section of the top of the deck, or a hinge and lock system, we are still spitballing at this point so nothing firm as yet. Worst case scenario it would seem is to simply remove those portions of the top decking when it comes time to service and reinstall once the change is done. My folks got 25 years out of their liner. If i get half that i will be happy. By that time the kids will be old enough to help with any work that needs to be done on the pool.

dottawa said:
that is exactly what we were thinking about, and haven't yet gotten our brains to it yet, perhaps a bolt system for a section of the top of the deck, or a hinge and lock system, we are still spitballing at this point so nothing firm as yet. Worst case scenario it would seem is to simply remove those portions of the top decking when it comes time to service and reinstall once the change is done. My folks got 25 years out of their liner. If i get half that i will be happy. By that time the kids will be old enough to help with any work that needs to be done on the pool.
At first I was going to suggest a border with the boards following the pattern of the top plates around the pool - then I realized you would have no way to support them unless you ran beams over the top - at which point the beams would be in the way. My neighbor has a deck that is a semi-circle (3/4 really) around his AGP. He has the boards end just shy of the top rails. His whole pool was replaced this past year without too much incident. The liner failed and the walls and tray for the supports were too rusty to replace just the liner. He had replaced at least one liner prior to that over the past 20 years - he had drained the pool to fix something and left liner in the sun - it shrank and was never right after that. In any case - his situation was complicated when it came to rebuilding but he still had access to the top plates. They did have to trim a little decking back as the new system wasn't an exact fit for the old location.

His rule was - No standing or jumping from the rails - since the decking came up just next to these rails and the decking was virtually the same height there was no reason to ignore his rules. Also there wasn't a lot of jumping - only kids under 5 were allowed to jump - after that they were big enough he worried over the possibilty of liner damage and didn't want to have anyone heavy jumping in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.