Pipes for pump & circulation

Monkey

Jan 12, 2013
Anyone who can tell me which pipe does what?

Basically, all the pipes are open except the 2 which are labelled HEATPUMP - The heatpump is not currently on, so it is isolated. All the other orange taps are in the open position.

In the setting it is at now, the pipes are open and the water is circulating. I have the pump on and the circulation jets in the pool are working.

My questions are:

1) On the right there are the 3 taps.. Why is the bottom one a blank? I assume it does not matter which position this one is in?

2) I was trying to get the cleaning hose to suck, but not sure which pipe to open/close? The cleaning hose connects to the skimmer.

3) Under normal filter mode, the taps should all be in the current position? All open (except the heatpumps ones, at this time).

Thanks for any help you can offer. Great forum, already got the spa working from the information provided here on this board. :party:

Attachments

• poolpump1.jpg
    poolpump1.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 168
Welcome to TFP!

1) Most likely the third pipe used to go somewhere, but some previous modification removed it. You can ignore it.
2) The valves on the two remaining pipes going into the pump control where water is drawn from. That might be two skimmers or a skimmer and a main drain, or something similar. You often need to turn off the one you are not using for the vacuum, or partially turn off the others depending, to get the vacuum to work correctly.
3) Yes, the positions shown in the photo are recommended for heatpump off and otherwise normal operation.

Ok great thanks. So there's a main drain at the bottom of the pool and one skimmer so I need to see which one is which so that I can turn off the main drain when using the cleaning vac. That makes sense.

Do I turn the one off which goes up to the pool? That's the "return" I think? This one seems to be the only one which controls the 3 jets which are opposite the skimmer. Is ther any harm in switching this one off while the pump is running?

Thanks.

Is there anywhere I can read correct information about the "RETURN" etc, and how the circulation system actually works? I am worried about shutting down the return, so do not want to do so to Vacuum until I have definite confirmation.

It seems to me that I have to turn off the "return" value so it is closed - When it is open the circulation jets (opposite the skimmer) are pushing water out and I dont think the pool should be vacuumed with those jets running?

There are basically two parts to the circulation system. Everything between the pool and the pump suction is the "suction" side (i.e. Water is "sucked" from the pool) and everything between the pump discharge and the pool, is the "return" side (i.e. water is "returned" to the pool).

In order for a suction side vacuum to work correctly you should leave all the "returns" wide open and the heatpump out of the loop (like shown above). You also need to close the main drain valve, at least partially, as you figured out. Leaving the returns wide open will create more suction so your vacuum works better. You can adjust the main drain valve to where you get good operation from the vacuum.

You do not want to close everything on either the suction side or the return side off at any time.

Ok. Thanks for confirming. I´m going to give it another go in the morning, see if I can get it sucking better. Last time I tried I could get virtually no suction, so something wasn´t right. Thanks for confirming about the "return", I´ll leave that then.

I´ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

To elaborate:

With both skimmer(vac connected) and main drain open - the suction takes the path of least resistance and your vac doesn't have much suction. Closing (partially or all the way) the main drain limits the suction to just the vac which greatly improves the vac suction. Too much might suck up a liner and so forth so partial closing of the valve on the main drain is sometimes needed rather than just shutting it off. With both off there is no flow and eventually the motor is damaged.

With returns - if you limit the flow out you reduce your suction in. The water has to go somewhere - the pressure rises the more restricted the flow is - with no output there is no flow, and no suction and eventually the pump or the filter gets damaged.

Got good suction today :) Cleaned the pool nicely and now I know exactly how to set the valves for using the pool vacuum. Thanks for the previous answers, helped a lot and made sure I didn´t do something silly...

Two more questions:

What position should the valves be in to backwash the filter? Should they all be open as per the normal filtration?

The pressure gauge is broken on the filter, is it worth replacing it? Easy to do? On my last pool I used to backwash when the pressure was below 1bar, without the pressure gauge I can´t use the same thinking, so is there another way of knowing when to backwash?

Re: Pipes for pump & circulation

Monkey said:
Got good suction today :) Cleaned the pool nicely and now I know exactly how to set the valves for using the pool vacuum. Thanks for the previous answers, helped a lot and made sure I didn´t do something silly...

Two more questions:

What position should the valves be in to backwash the filter? Should they all be open as per the normal filtration?

The pressure gauge is broken on the filter, is it worth replacing it? Easy to do? On my last pool I used to backwash when the pressure was below 1bar, without the pressure gauge I can´t use the same thinking, so is there another way of knowing when to backwash?
Yes valves on normal setting when back washing.

Yes replace gauge. The go bad but they aren't crazy expensive. Backwash when pressure rises 25% from starting levels.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Monkey said:
Are there directions for how to replace the gauge anywhere?

As far as I know - it's a simple twist off twist on - they are threaded and you might need teflon tape to keep leaks at bay but otherwise nothing special that I know of. Maybe worth posting pictures of the dead gauge installed so people can talk you through it.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Monkey said:
Are there directions for how to replace the gauge anywhere?

As far as I know - it's a simple twist off twist on - they are threaded and you might need teflon tape to keep leaks at bay but otherwise nothing special that I know of. Maybe worth posting pictures of the dead gauge installed so people can talk you through it.

Here's a better picture of the filter. Is this ok, or should I take another closer up? ( ok, seems I can't upload picture at thus moment as on iPad, will upload later)

Just grab that gauge and unscrew it (CCW). Righty tighty - lefty loosy :)

Take it to the local pool store or the local plumbing or hardware store and get one that will work. Pick up some teflon tape or paste while there, if you don't have any. Bring it back home and tape or paste the threads and thread it back into the port. Tighten it just hand tight to begin with and if it leaks a little tighten it a little more at the time until it stops.

I think it will likely take a few days to get the part.. Will the filtration etc work as usual without the gauge being on the filter? Guess its got some form of valve which prevents leakage without it being attached.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.