Between the FloPro and the IntelliFlo

Dec 23, 2012
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

I'm looking at the same pump comparison. Have a RS2/6 so theoretically could go either way Jandy FloPro, use the OneTouch of on/off and the controller on the pump for variable flow or Pentair + Intellicom + 2 relays.

I'm leaning towards Jandy for compatibility reasons (and because I think I can delay iAqualink purchase for a while) but am concerned the motor is not as efficient as the Pentair.

Does anyone have Pentair RPM vs Power (or current) draw?
Thanks
Mark

Re: Jandy VS FloPro Variable or Pentair IntelliFlo 3HP Vari

The RPM is going to be the same between the FloPro and the Intelliflo. What is different is the HP. The FloPro can only go up to 2HP while the Intelliflo can go up to 3HP. The only reason you would need this is if you were replacing a pump that is 2.5 - 3HP or have 2.5" - 3" pipe that could handle the extra HP.

I personally install the FloPro all the time because of the ease of use and the small footprint, but every now and then I will install an intelliflo when I have the need for more HP. I recently installed a Intelliflo XP to push close to 180 GPM with 3" pipe on a spa only, but that it not very common.

The thing you need to consider more is how you are going to run the pump? The FloPro comes with the controller you will need but the intelliflo will require the purchase of another controller. If you upgrade to the iAqualink you will save yourself a lot of trouble because it can control either pump without having to install an extra controller.

Let me know if you need any help with either one.

Reed

markcrompton said:
Does anyone have Pentair RPM vs Power (or current) draw?
That isn't a question you are going to be able to get a meaningful answer about. The power vs. rpm numbers depend on the specific install.

Both of those pumps are very efficient. There are some differences, but they are both so dramatically better than a single speed pump that the small differences between them are not all that important. The IntelliFlo has been around longer and we have more experience with it, but the FloPro has reviewed well and seems to work well for people. I would go for maximum compatibility with your controller as the deciding factor.

For anyone interested I purchased the Jandy FloPro. Here's some observations. My equipment is almost 100' away from the skimmer and the solar heating is 30' up on the 2nd story roof.

Slowest adequate speed = 1250rpm

Let me re-try this post:
For anyone interested I purchased the Jandy FloPro. Here's some observations. My equipment is almost 100' away from the skimmer and the solar heating is 30' up on the 2nd story roof.

I'm using the Jandy supplied JEP-R controller with old 2005 Aqualink RS system. It took a few hours to get everything to function how I wanted, but saved $500 for now on the iAqualink, maybe next year.
I have speed 1 set at 1250 for regular turnover, with speed 2 set to 2350rpm for the solar. The remainder of the settings are manual, so speed 3 is set for 2500rpm for the navigator which I now only use once a week for a couple of hours when I am at home (previously it ran permanently).

Slowest adequate skimmer speed = 1250rpm = 150 watts approx. 30 GPM, 9 hours run time (could probably drop a few more RPM, but not much to be gained)
Slowest adequate navigator speed = 2500rpm = 800 watts approx. 45 GPM, use 1-2hr per week
Slowest adequate skimmer + solar = 2350rpm = 650 watts approx. 40 GPM
Electricity bill dropped from $120 to $45 first month (Southern California)! Will increase over the summer as I use more solar.
GPM are estimates from 5 gal bucket spillway measurement over 1 min (don't flame me).

Notes
To use the solar, may have to experiment with the primer time, mine is set at 5 minutes, turn the solar valves first (mine are all JVAs connected to One Touch), then 2 minutes later start the 2nd speed.
Power is only applied to the pump when the RS system requests the pump to run. So the JEP-R loses it's clock memory (think VCR flashing 12:00) each time the RS turns the pump off. Fortunately JEP-R does not forget it's timer settings.
Option 1 is to leave power permanently applied and use the JEP-R to control everything.
Option 2 (my choice) use the RS (One Touch) to control everything as normal, set the JEP-R to power the pump on at 12:01am (so one minute after the RS applies power) and then run for 9 hours. Set RS to turn off the pump 9 hours 2 minutes after asking it to turn on. Set the solar to come on/off through the RS, so have to sync RS & JEP timers for this event also. I set the solar to come on after 3 hours, and 2 minutes later the JEP-R timer 2 kicks in to the higher speed. The prime time runs for 5 mins at 2750 RPM (1100 watts) sufficient to circulate to the roof and back down, then the system kicks back down to 2350rpm. The solar kicks off after 3 hours and the JEP-R is sync'ed to drop down to speed/timer 1.

Hope that helps anyone with the similar questions regarding variable speed pumps (Jandy FloPro) with older Aqualink RS.
Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.