Quick question on pool filter seal

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Thanks in advance to everyone in this forum.
When I cleaned my pool filter, the manual said to tighten the bolt holding the filter together down so the 2 nuts were within 1/4 - 1/2". I had measured the distance before I took apart the filter and it was more like 1 1/4" or something like that. There was a pretty big gap before. So I tried to follow the instructions and tightened it down more.
When I removed the filter I had inspected the gasket and it seemed to be in good condtion.

There has been a smalll leak from the gasket seal area - and it seems to have increased a little.

I'm assuming that I should just open up the filter again - try to reseat the seal in a different position - then see if that stops the leak. And maybe not make the gap so small since maybe that's over tightening?

Am I supposed to apply some type of Silicon or something to lube the seal also? I don't remember seeing that in instructions regarding closing the filter after cleaning...

Thanks.

You should inspect the gasket to be sure it is free of cuts and nicks, then apply a silicone based plumbers lube to the gasket, also make sure that all of the surfaces that come in contact with the gasket are free of debris. It often helps to tap around the sealing ring with a mallet about half way through tightening the nut down to be sure everything is settled down into the correct position.

The instructions on how far to tighten the ring are correct and should be followed.

I agree with Jason ... you need to be using a mallet all the way around the clamp. Personally, I will tighten the nut until there is a little resistance and then use the mallet, then tighten a bit more, and use the mallet. I may end up tapping the ring 3 or 4 times before the nut is to spec, but I do not have to use very much force on the nut and risk breaking it (as some members have reported).

When I misplace my rubber mallet, I have used a block of wood and regular hammer ... no need to hit it hard, just tap it all the way around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.