Thicker Solor Covers Warm Better?

Aug 28, 2009
I have a worn out 8mil cover now, and it's pretty effective at keeping the heat in over night (we can see 40's even in the summer.)

I need to replace it, and have read that because of longevity, buy the cheapest one you can, which would be 5mil. The 8mil is about $8 more for my 15x30, and the website has a graph showing better heat retention/warming with thicker covers. I don't want the really thick ones, too heavy, and a waste of money.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share in terms of effectiveness for different mils?

Thanks!

The greatest benefit of a solar cover comes from it stopping surface evaporation and only a very little from it's insulating ability, so a thin cover is just as good as a thick cover at preventing evaporative cooling. Going above an 8mil won't gain you enough to notice. the only thing it will gain you is a heavier piece of fabric to handle.

Bama Rambler said:
The greatest benefit of a solar cover comes from it stopping surface evaporation and only a very little from it's insulating ability, so a thin cover is just as good as a thick cover at preventing evaporative cooling. Going above an 8mil won't gain you enough to notice. the only thing it will gain you is a heavier piece of fabric to handle.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'll save the $8 and spend it on cheap pool toys. ;->

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.