Pump and filter questions for AGP

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
I am researching pumps and filters for a new 18x33 AGP. I found this quote in an article on poolsolutions.com"

"A combination that will work fairly well for almost ALL above ground pools -- regardless of pool size -- is a 1/2 HP Hayward "Super" pump (mfg. model #SP2600X5), a 22" Hayward "PRO" sand filter (mfg. model #SP220T), a Hayward 1.5" "Vari-Flo" multiport valve (mfg. model #SP071113), and a cord set (#SPX1550WA [25 ft long] or #SPX1250 [6 ft long]). 1999 list price on this combo is $764.00. Any pool dealer in the US or Canada can sell this combination to you. You'll also need hoses, connectors and . . . 250 pounds of filter sand. Make absolutely certain that the sand comes in bags that are factory labeled as filter sand, and make sure that the pump and filter have exactly the model numbers shown above. This combination can be used either as original equipment, or to replace what you've got now"

Any thoughts on this recomendation? One question I have though, is that according to Hayward the pump recommended above is an inground pool pump. Does that matter? Would it matter if I was using solar heat panels placed at the same elevation as the pool?

It would sure make things easy for me to be able to follow this recomendation.

That is a perfectly reasonable recommendation. You might be able to do a little bit better using newer products that weren't out when that was written, but it wouldn't be a big difference.

Using an in ground pump with an above ground pool is fine. An above ground pump must be below water level, while an in ground pump can be either above or below water level.

If you end up raising the panels significantly above water level there is some chance you will need a larger pump, but with the panels at or below water level you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.