Pool Safety Cover

Jan 6, 2013
Hi there, I'm hoping somebody could help me out. We had a pool installed in the fall of 2012 and haven't yet had a chance to use it. Unfortunately my faith in our pool installer has demished which is why I'm turning to you for help.

We had them install a safety cover and it doesn't seem to be adequate however, as a new pool owner, I may be wrong. We live in an area where we can receive significant snowfall at times. At our first snowfall, we may have received 2-3" of now. With this snowfall, our pool cover is about 3' below the deck level (pool not all the way full with water at this time due to local building codes). My concern is that with such a small amount of snow and the cover sinking at least 3', this doesn't seem to be overly safe. With two very small children, I need to know if this is in fact safe or if the cover requires a reinstall.

If anybody could offer advice or provide clarification, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

I think it depends on the cover, my cover instructions say to lower the water level (no more than 2 feet) the springs on my cover are supposed to be at 60% compressed to be correct.
I currently have 9 inches of snow on the cover and deck and the center does sag to water level. My cover instructions say the water supports the weight of the cover and snow.
I would find out what brand cover you have and call the manufacturer for instructions, you may only need to tighten the springs or add water.

We also had a safety cover installed as we have a little kid. We get a lot of snow here as well and have alot of water on top of cover, certainly enough to be a hazard. We were told by our pool store that the water will start to drain through cover as it ages and this is normal. We could have had a pond on pool for alot less money. Our water level was about 8" below deck when covered to allow for water to drain into the room left. We have about 8" of water/ice on the cover today so there hasn't been much seepage. Hoping to pump cover off today and try and tighten straps.

JohnT said:
The problem is you don't have enough water in the pool.

Exactly, sinking 3' means the water level is too low. Your local building codes have basically voided the warranty on your safety cover. The water level is supposed to be around 15" down from the top of the pool. Safety covers are strong but they are not magic. The weight of the winter snow load is supposed to be shared by the cover and the water/ice that is underneath the cover. Maybe you'll get lucky and make out with no damage but don't expect any damage to your cover to be covered by the manufacturer.

No problem :) The exact level is determined by the make and manufacturer. Solid covers are meant to be kept higher than mesh style. Regardless around 15" should be good. If you have any papers on your cover it probably says the proper level in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.