How do you trouble shoot a heater

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
Worked fine last winter and spring, Didn't use it through the summer and now it won;'t fire. Knob inside is turned to on. any ideas where to start?

imageafmd.jpg

imagejtrd.jpg

imagetrep.jpg

imagevss.jpg

imagewnkc.jpg

imagewcy.jpg

Re: HOw do you trouble shoot a heater

If the unit doesn't do anything when turned on, the place to start is to measure the voltage at various steps along the safety protection switch circuit to see if any of the protection switches are keeping it turned off. In the electrical diagram this is the row of connections across the top from the transformer to the temperature control panel. Starting at the transformer you should be able to confirm 24 volts. Then check over at the control pane and see if the 24 volts is getting to there. If not, track back along the string of switches to see which of them is open.

i had a similar issue at the start of summer. The tech came out and used a jumper to test each of the connections. basically where you see two cables connected to the same piece of equipment use a jumper between them (remove them from the equipment and connect them using a copper cable with clamps on each end). This helped them isolate the issue within 5 minutes.

I have a self powered version of the Lite2 (it generates all the power it needs from a generator heated by the pilot flame) and I've found the original manual that came with it has an excellent detailed electrical troubleshooting section, that if you follow to the letter, will isolate almost any fault. I had non-starting behaviors and after following the guide and replacing my pilot generator and low pressure switch it now works extremely well. Never-the-less, my setup is particularly sensitive to having a clean filter and the heater won't operate if my sand filter is anything more than half it's way towards needing to be backwashed.

Gregg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought the manual would have a good trouble shooting section but it doesn't look like it. The Jandy Lite 2 millivolt model I have has a great trouble shooting section. Never-the-less, being able to print out a schematic page, instead of bending over to study a schematic is definitely worth the price of admission.

Edit:

Here's the manual I was thinking of with a good section on theory of operation and troubleshooting (especially section 10.4.3 and on). The major difference between your model and the model in this manual is the operating voltage that the heater works off of. Instead of measuring 220-750mVDC at various locations, you should be seeing 24VAC. This manual along with the one that Mike linked to, should get you understanding what's happening.

http://www.propools.com/instructions_owners_manuals/laars-lite-2-LG-models.pdf

[attachment=0:23oglzpg]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634398.638552.jpg[/attachment:23oglzpg]I am assuming this box is the transformer. Where do I but the black and red metal prongs from the voltmeter? I can't seemed to get a voltage. Starting to wonder if this things isn't getting power. It's wired into the rest of the power inside the timer box. And everything else works.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634398.638552.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634398.638552.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 111
This terminal is where the main wires come in from the timer box. [attachment=0:2c99d4ff]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635361.770355.jpg[/attachment:2c99d4ff]

When I touch the red and black prongs of the volt meter to the same screw, nothing happens. Same on both screws. A little dash pops up next to the zeros but that's it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635361.770355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635361.770355.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 106
This is where those two black words end up in the timer box. They come out of a feed line, are in separate twist connectors, then are the two black wires coming from the right. How can I test here?

[attachment=0:2fvd9efn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635699.303302.jpg[/attachment:2fvd9efn]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635699.303302.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635699.303302.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 103
Those are the power in terminals (on the top right side of the schematic)

One probe of your meter on the black wire and one probe on the white wire should read 240v (or close)

If not, your breaker (sorry, looks like it's connected to your timer) in the panel is probably tripped.

EDIT: I'd be careful!!!!! If energized there will be 240v on those screws. Turn off the breaker and try to remove those wires and clean.

It appears to be overheated and burned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.