Also new here, need some advice

FInished part of the job today, took me a long, long time to figure out how to route and glue up the pipes and I only did the input up to the solar array. Joining the two drains for the spa took a lot of test fitting. I've not added in the VacAlert yet either. Removed the old solar control and temporarily re-used the current breaker panel. Only a couple of small leaks. . .

Wow, on low mode the VS pump is really quiet, had it run overnight drawing 100 watts, the flow meter doesn't register at such a low speed. Programmed it to come on today at 11:00 - 4:30 for solar at a higher speed. Nifty pump, if it could also control one valve, many people could skip control panels.

Still have to install the Vac-Alert, remove most of the copper lines, the IC40 and plumb the output Jandy 3-way.

Attachments

• pool3.JPG
    pool3.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 65
  • pool2.JPG
    pool2.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 65
  • pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 65
I've got air bubbles out the return when running up to the solar panels. I'm thinking this must be an air leak somewhere. Is there a simple way of finding/fixing air/water leaks. I've spotted a couple of water leaks, but the air ones have me stumped. I'm going to put some glue around all the joints heading up to the panels hoping that fixes things.

Air coming out the returns when charging the solar panels is common. The VRV allows the panels to drain whenever they are off so the water doesn't boil in them and when you switch back to them the air is purged from them out the returns. Perfectly normal.

I get HUGE amounts of bubbles going into the pool when I first turn on solar. Then for a long time after that I will still see little bubbles entering the pool as any remaining air in the panels and pipes are expelled.

As long as you are not seeing air in the pump and in the filter, you should be fine. Air should not be entering the system on the pressure side of the pump anyway ... although there are some rare occasions where I think air can be drawn in at the VRV if it is very high and the pressure at that point is a little low.

Well, air can not typically enter the system on the pressure side of the pump ... so verify there is not a problem on the suction side. But, I would not be surprised that it is just air that was in the solar panels.

Do you see air when the solar is off?

I didn't notice air when solar is off, but I may not have run it long enough. I agree getting air into a pressurized system is odd to say the least. I'll have to re-test tonight, there are significant bubbles for hours, so it's not a small leak... I can divert the input/output to spa only to somewhat isolate some of the runs.

Is re-gluing the joint sufficient or is there some magical sealant that works in damp conditions?

I am not sure what you mean by "re-gluing" That is not possible with PVC pipe/fittings that have already been installed. If a joint is leaking, you have to cut it out and start over.

The VRV may not be completely closed and is drawing in air. When solar is running, what is the filter pressure and what is the height of the panels? Bump up the RPM of the pump and see if the bubbles go away. BTW, what RPM are you using when solar is running?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mind you, I'm now using about the same power with the VS pump as with the previous 1HP one, so unless I want to move the vacuum release valve lower (and now I've read a bunch about the pro/con of doing that solar-panels-and-vacuum-breakers-t5873.html) I'm kind of stuck with the current speed.

Other suggestions welcome...

Here's a better picture of the 45 degree and 90 degree spa drains being joined into one. Pipe coming up on the left (to the 3way) is from pool, the other two join in an interesting way and go to the other side of the 3way.

Attachments

• IMG_20130806_091053.jpg
    IMG_20130806_091053.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 44
Well, you will just need to run on low speed when solar is not needed to reduce electrical consumption. The Intelliflo is 3 times the HP of your previous pump, so not too surprising it uses the same amount ot power to move a similar amount of water at a lower RPM.

I run mine on high for better solar heating and low when solar is not needed.

BTW, I think you need to update yoru signature since I was not aware you had a VS pump (until I looked at the pictures).

Forgot to update the signature as I just finished the install last weekend. :-0 Can't run at lower speed yet as I've not installed the EasyTouch panel so I can't automatically switch over the solar 3-way yet. Ran out of time last weekend.

The best way to run on lower speeds with solar is to change the location of the VRV. The closer to the pump the VRV is located, the lower the RPM. Where is the VRV located right now? Before the water goes through the panels or after and at what height?

Modifying any of the plumbing between the VRV and the pump would only have a very minor effect so probably not worth it.

It's somewhere up on the roof which is two stories up on a south facing slope.... I wouldn't mind placing it lower down for maintenance/lower RPM reasons.

Any favorite brands of VRVs or perhaps ones to avoid?

Just unscrew the one on the roof. Screw in a plug. And add a tee down low and screw it back in.

Note that many are supposed to be mounted vertically, so you might need a 90 turn in addition to the tee, depending on where you move it.

Without the VRV on a primed system, it can run at really low speeds: 750 rpm and only draw 100 watts with no problem. Mind you, I'll still not finished all the plumbing as I had to have it ready for a party we had over the weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.