Need recomendation about solar during the winter

ping

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I'm not interested in keeping the water warmer during the winter here in SoCal, but I'm interested in what you think about shutting off the solar panels during the winter. I do not close the pool and we use the spa 3-5 nights a week. My question is, will the panels stay in better shape if I run them year round rather than shutting them off in the winter? I have a 2-speed pump and it does prime the panels on low speed, but I don't think they get fully primed. I like to run on low speed during the winter months, but I could switch over and run on high speed for 3 hours or so if you think it would be best for my panels to run the solar. Thanks for your suggestions.

I also stop the flow to the solar panels in the winter and in fact open up my drains on the roof to ensure there is no water trapped in them for the rare times we get below freezing weather.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.