Got a quote to rebuild my pump. Seems too high.

Jan 2, 2013
I have a separate filter pump for my in ground, small spa that's a Sta-Rite 2hp. I was going to either have it replaced or rebuilt because it's noisey and seems to be on the way out.

I was under the impression rebuilding a small pump like this was relatively inexpensive, around $150 or so dollars. A pool technician was telling me a rebuild is around $400, with a new one around $800.

For a single speed, 2hp pump, doesn't that seem a bit high?

Looking around the web, I'm seeing brand new complete pumps for around $200-$300 from Hayward and Pentair. I actually think I want to step down to 1 1/2hp per the tech's recommendation.
It looks like a straightforward job and I may just do it myself. I just want to make sure I'm seeing the whole picture.

When I see a new pump for $300, I figured I'd pay a guy a $100 for the install and I'd be out the door for $400.

Am I being unreasonable?

Welcome to TFP!

Everything you conclude sounds very reasonable to me, while it is not apparent where the pool tech got their numbers. I would allow up to $200 for the install in my area, but that is still only $500 for a replacement installed. Either they have a noticeably higher markup than I'm used to, or they are aware of some additional complication you didn't mention which introduces additional expenses.

Thanks for the reply.

I may just buy one and install it myself, there really is nothing unique about the install, it has easy access and there's nothing wrong with the connecting wiring or plumbing. I'd be willing to bet an experienced tech could swap it out in less than 30 minutes.

Does it matter if the pump is billed as an "in ground" or an above ground pump? Are there any brands to stay away from? any beands you'd recommend? I was leaning towards a 1 1/2hp Pentair. The pump is used very little.

Is the bad pump only used for filtering the spa? Or is it also used to run the jets?
If it is only for filtration, I would go much smaller ... like no more than 3/4 HP. But let's get the full story first.

Do you only have a spa or is there also a pool?
Is there a skimmer in the spa as well?
What other pumps do you have?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Usually there are either two pumps or a single, variable speed pump because normally a spa has a circ setting.Replacement of my variable jacuzzi was about 800 after including new impeller, etc. plus labor. Parts are more when from an authorized dealer. If you google YouTube, you'll find videos on how to replace pumps. It does seem straightforward but I was gunshy of DIY because I didn't know what unintended consequences or error might arise. If you're handy, and have the time, no reason not to replace it yourself. However, I would be tempted to straight-out replace what's there for simplicity's sake.

Above ground pumps are designed for low dynamic head situations (ie short plumbing runs) and tend not to be self priming (and so need to be located below pool water level). In ground pumps are designed for high dynamic head situations (ie long plumbing runs) and are nearly always self priming (and so can be mounted above pool water level).

jblizzle said:
Is the bad pump only used for filtering the spa? Or is it also used to run the jets?
If it is only for filtration, I would go much smaller ... like no more than 3/4 HP. But let's get the full story first.

Do you only have a spa or is there also a pool?
Is there a skimmer in the spa as well?
What other pumps do you have?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

It's used for filtering and also jets (never used) and has a separate skimmer, but the spa feeds into the larger pool with a spillway, so I rarely use the spa filter, I usually just dump the spa water into the pool and use the pool's filter to clean everything rather than separate filters and separate chemicals .

There's a separate pump that powers the spillway that works fine.

The quote I ended up getting was $450 installed to rebuild the existing pump but for a smaller 1hp motor and new impeller. It's not highway robbery, but I definitely feel like he's padding the job by around $200 more than he should.

He's quoting $650 for a new 1hp motor installed.

I think I'm just going to pass as the motor hasn't given up the ghost yet anyway, I could easily have a few years left and it's rarely used anyway. I might just take it into a motor shop and have it rebuilt.

I typically charge about $650 - $700 for a 2 HP motor installed with tax. But there are some specialty 2 HP motors that I charge about $800 for. If it's a standard Sta-rite pump with a square flange motor I believe you might want to get a bid from someone else. If there is nobody else in the area and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself I would pay him to do it. Simple economics =)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.