Need help replacing a valve

Jul 11, 2007
I'm replacing the intake valves on my pool so they can work better with the Pro Logic automation system I am installing, and I ran into a problem. The line coming from the spa was glued to where there is only about 1/8" of pipe sticking up above the pad before you hit a fitting. It's a 2" pipe that went right into a coupler and the Jandy valve was on the other side of the coupler.

I cut the valve off right through the top of the coupler, so there is still about 1/2" of the jandy valve sleeve glued inside the top of the coupler. No amount of coaxing will separate these 2 components, so I'm trying to think of other options.

Since the valves handle 1.5" and 2" pipe, one idea I had was to glue a short stub of 1.5" pipe into the piece of the Jandy valve left in the coupler, then increase it back to 2" right afterwards. Do you think this would work, and if so would it reduce my flow too much having just a short section of 1.5" pipe? Any other ideas?

If I can't figure anything out, I'm going to have to either get out my chisel and start chipping away at the concrete, or start digging beside the pad and try to find the line underground and tap in there. Neither of these are appealing options. :roll:

mikester,

Here are a couple of options which may help in your situation:

pipe extenders (although one of these might be better termed an "internal coupling"
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvc.html#extender
Pipe extenders will, of necessity, cause a reduction in the internal diameter of your 2" pvc pipe. I don't think that this will cause any ill-effect in your system, mainly because the length of the reduced internal diameter is so small.

If you require a solution that maintains the internal diameter of the 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe, here is a solution aimed at the electrical market, but electrical pvc conduit has the exact same dimensions as 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe. I'm sure that this repair kit is expensive if purchased from the manufacturer, but perhaps you have an electrician buddy who would be willing to loan you the use of his repair kit. I'm guessing that the vast majority of electricians have never heard of this repair kit, but it appears to be such a valuable solution to a common field problem that your electrician buddy should loan you his brand-new kit out of gratitude just because you told him that such a tool existed.
http://www.carlon.com/Master%20Catalog/ ... m_7F89.pdf

And here is an article from the June 21, 2002 issue of Pool and Spa News that discusses the issue.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/printable.a ... 1:94333494

I hope this helps. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Titanium

I tried a couple of things that didn't work this weekend, so tomorrow I'll try to find a plumbing supply place that has internal couplings.

Thanks for the suggestion - I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.