Gutter/Deck drain question...

budgetplan1

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2013
Cleveland, OH
]Given the below image, a few questions.

gutter_zps2fb04282.jpg

The deck drain (outer edge) part is not draining; any idea where to look for blockage? I'm guessing it does not flow into the surge tank along with the gutter water/pool overflow.

thanks

Yep, the deck drains water into the outside slot. Removing the cover plate in the pic reveals that outside channel, filled with water. I'd guess that the outside 'deck drain' channel drains into some other plumbing thatn the main pool gutter/overflow which empties into the surge tank. The 'deck drain' channel became clogged, I think, when deck was recently scrubbed/cleaned, pushing dirt and grime into it and clogging discharge path. I'd guess that this particular stainless steel gutter system has 3 distinct channels:

1. Pool return
2. Main gutter/pool overflow
3. Deck drain

Yep, indoor pool. Judging from the manner in which wayward balls roll back towards pool, safe to say deck is sloped towards pool.

Somewhere there has (I would imagine) to be something that allows water to drain from the outside channel...I just don't quite know yet where it is. Guess I could just ran a pressure washer directed into the drain slot all the way around the pool bu that would be quite the, uh, spectacle. Just curious if this type of gutter/system appeared familiar to anyone. Google-ing for and hints has so far proven fruitless.

How about one of the round, wooden "sticks" from home depot about 36" long? Inserted into the channel, it could be drug along with slight downward pressure until you find the junk blocking the drain hole or perhaps the drain hole itself.

I fear something like that will be the only option. A tedious task as there is a spot weld about every foot or so to impede smooth progress. Think I will try a metal yardstick...at least I won't have to bend down as I drag it along. Of course this assumes there IS a drain somewhere; I just can't imagine something like this wouldn't have a method for water to escape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.