observation on a "weak" main drain

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
When I first took over the pool I assumed the main drain line was plugged because I could swim right up to it with pump running, place my hand directly over the cover, and feel not one whit of suction. Then as time went by I realized it must have some degree of suction because I noticed leaves congregating over the cover when pump was running. But still I considered it a minimal source of suction in the system.

So today as I was performing routine maintenance, I notice the pump strainer basket is *crammed* with big pecan leaf stems that could only have come from the main drain. They don't float because they are heavy, and besides, there were none in the skimmer basket. So long story short, main drain is obviously operating normally. But I tell you, you can feel not the slightest whim of suction if you hold your hand over it! How it is able to not only draw in, but suck the big stems all the way up to strainer basket is beyond me!

Anyhoo, carry on...just an observation...

Re: observation on a "weak" main drain

That is the way the drain covers are designed ... so that you do not feel suction which could lead to entrapment. I have observed the same thing.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Re: observation on a

jblizzle said:
That is the way the drain covers are designed ... so that you do not feel suction which could lead to entrapment. I have observed the same thing.

Thanks for that jblizzle, but just to be clear, mine is an old style drain cover, not one of the newer anti-entrapment jobbies. Still I get what you're saying...just seems counter-intuitive.

I am not sure my single drain is compliant either. Previous house had 2 floor drains which reduces the flow feel even more.

My main drain is like yours also; old and does not have feel like much suction is there. My guess is that many older designs are perfectly fine but the manufacturer is not going to go back and certify something no longer made.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.