Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquarite cell installation question

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquarite cell installation question

I'm installing my Pro Logic PS8 system this weekend, and I got the Aquarite chlorinator option with it. In the manual (yes, I read those ), it says that the cell can be mounted horizontally or vertically, but it doesn't say anything about the flow switch. Can the flow switch be mounted vertically?

Also, it says you can mount the flow switch after the cell without leaving 12" of straight pipe like you must have if the flow switch is before the cell. But, would it be ok to have an elbow between the cell and the flow switch, i.e. cell -> 90 -> flow switch?
    10k gal gunite inground w/ raised spa, waterfall, Hayward Super 2 1.5 HP 2 speed, Hayward 48 ft2 Pro Grid DE, Goldline PS-8 automation system, Goldline T-15 Salt Cell, Raypak 337k BTU LowNox Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    You can put an elbow between the cell and the flow switch, but then you need 12" of straight pipe between the elbow and the flow switch. What they really mean is that the cell counts as straight pipe, but an elbow certainly doesn't.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    What about mounting the flow switch vertically? If I can do that, then I can put the elbow AFTER the flow switch and all is good.
    10k gal gunite inground w/ raised spa, waterfall, Hayward Super 2 1.5 HP 2 speed, Hayward 48 ft2 Pro Grid DE, Goldline PS-8 automation system, Goldline T-15 Salt Cell, Raypak 337k BTU LowNox Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

You can install the flow switch on a 90, but it should be on the same line as the cell with 12" of straight pipe before the flow switch.
    The flow switch can be mounted before or after the cell, and if installed after the cell, the cell can count towards the 12" of straight pipe.

If the flow switch is mounted on a 90 degree, again, you should have 12" of straight pipe, and the flow switch should be after the cell, never before.

I would further suggest that if there are any fittings or valves between the two components, make sure the cell is mounted before the flow switch.

This prevents the possibility of the cell getting energized without proper flow through the cell.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5
    There is nothing in the manual about vertical vs horizontal mounting. Presumably vertical mounting is allowed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

There is no problem installing them vertically. We install them like that on our commercial models.