What is the shock level for 0 CYA water?

UnderWaterVanya

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
This is a tad tongue in cheek... and not a pool related question. I have dog water bowls and cat water bowls that develop algae.

The dog water bowl is outside and exposed to sunlight and has more capacity and is changed daily during the summer and less frequently in the winter. Algae builds up and I was curious what level of FC would be needed to shock it - should I elect to do so. Typically I just dump in a bunch of bleach.

The cat bowl is inside and over time develops a weird pink algae despite being changed frequently - sometimes more than 1/day.

FC levels run about 1.5-3ppm from the tap.

I'm surprised the inside bowl gets nasty with the frequent changes - is 1.5ppm with zero CYA not enough?

With CYA really and truly at zero, shock level is between 2 and 5. Technically it is 2, but sometimes 2 ppm of chlorine gets used up really quickly, so you generally use more to be sure you really got it. If there has ever been CYA in the water then things are different and you use 10 as shock level.

JasonLion said:
With CYA really and truly at zero, shock level is between 2 and 5. Technically it is 2, but sometimes 2 ppm of chlorine gets used up really quickly, so you generally use more to be sure you really got it. If there has ever been CYA in the water then things are different and you use 10 as shock level.
Thanks. My typical response when I notice the problem is to nuke it at many thousands of ppm but I was curious what the shock level was. If 2ppm is needed that makes sense as to why just refilling frequently (many times per day) is not difficult since fc trends too be 1.5 ppm in my tap water.

Sent via Tapatalk...

George N said:
Off the subject of CYA but I use this for watering the dogs (two German Shepherds).

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-l70-.html

Wouldn't own a cat though :) lol
I tried a filtered recirculating water fountain for the cats... One of then splashed it out.

I'm no cat fan either, but they make the family happy!

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.