Cheap Morton Salt Pellets - $3.79/40 lb bag at Sears

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be installing a SWCG soon. But is this the best option? Dissolve time is not a big deal, but Pool School says choose one that "doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include ... Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags".

The linked on-sale salt is Morton's System Saver II. On Morton's website, it says this salt "help to prevent formation of iron and manganese sludge in your brine tank. Our specially patented formula helps keep these hardness minerals in solution". Sounds like this is the type of salt I should according to pool school. (unless I have iron staining problems?).

Morton® System Saver® II Pellets contain a resin cleaning additive. They don't appear to say exactly what that is. As a general rule, it is best to avoid adding things that are unknown or not needed, thus best to use solar salt, which doesn't have any additives. I don't believe that System Saver II is going to cause any serious problems, I'd just rather not experiment.

Hi,

Sorry not trying to bump an old thread but they had this on sale again and a coupon to make it cheaper. I'm new to pools and nee 350lb of salt according to the pool store. Its easy to cancel so I ordered 13 bags of this. After researching, I found people saying that this type of salt is alright, but not to use salt with any additives in it.

Did anyone ever try this salt or should I not use it?

I heard back from Morton today when I questioned them about the difference between the two products and/or their safe use in swimming pools. Here is their answer:

“Morton Pool Salt is a plain salt product. Morton System Saver II pellets contain resin cleansing additives. Water softened by pellets is drinkable; however, if you have any type of specific health concerns, please see your doctor. Either product can be used in your pool.”
http://poolforum.blogspot.com/2007/01/p ... ation.html

yeah same here, Lowes has the Diamond Crystal solar salt, HD carries Morton solar salt. Both are 4.7something per bag

I felt the Morton stuff dissolved faster but the Diamond stuff was "cleaner" (I had only one bag of Morton but it had some white piece of garbage in it that didnt dissolve, maybe a pebble or something)

Some things are worth saving on, but I would not use anything other than Pure 100% table grade salt

ie, Morton's Pool Salt or Omega Salt - sold at pool supply stores. I prefer Omega it's like $7.00 a 40lb bag

Why ruin an expensive SWG or damage plaster etc over a few dollars. There are other minerals and stuff in the other products.

Just my 2 cents

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Solar salt is the same as "pool" salt that has not been put through a grinder. Why pay a extra $3 per bag to save a few minutes of dissolve time?

And you certainly do not want to use iodized table salt.

Friend of mine is the same way....swears using anything other than something labelled Pool Salt will make the sky fall, your SWG explode and your pool turn colors.

Luckily Morton Pool salt at Walmart is only 5.79/bag around here, so its not much more expensive than the alternatives. Only about $1.00/bag extra.

jblizzle said:
Solar salt is the same as "pool" salt that has not been put through a grinder. Why pay a extra $3 per bag to save a few minutes of dissolve time?

I like the pool salt for the reason that is HAS been put thru a grinder, and there is no chance of any pebbles in it. In aome cases these pool cost upwards of $60,000 to install. Why get cheap over a couple of bucks.

I fail to see how a pebble sitting on the bottom endangers the pool, but to each their own.

Many people come here to learn how to maintain the pool and save money while doing do. We just offer the information about the alternatives that are identical and cost less money.

bk406 said:
jblizzle said:

I like the pool salt for the reason that is HAS been put thru a grinder, and there is no chance of any pebbles in it. In aome cases these pool cost upwards of $60,000 to install. Why get cheap over a couple of bucks.

Interestingly, I added Morton Pool Salt to my pool a few days ago, and the next day when I went to clean out the vaccum bag/net of my Polaris robot (Swiper), it had picked up pebbles (or at least they were hard, small objects. Not sure what the material was...perhaps rock)

0002460003460_500X500.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.