Weird Readings on Opening Test

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
I need some advice. I am trying to open my pool and I first tested the CYA and pH. I have a FAS-DPD kit I bought from Leslie’s Pool (before I could get a kit through TFP!) last year, so the chemicals are about 10 months old.

When I tested my CYA, I got no reading (black dot never disappeared). At the end of last season my CYA was a little high (80-100) but I figured replacing the water drained during the winter (about 12 inches) would probably bring it down a little bit. Is it possible my chemicals are bad? I had two bottles of reagent (one open and one never opened) and I used the open one and got no result, so I used the unopened one and still got no result. I guess this means either my CYA has mysteriously gone through the roof or the testing kit is defective.

I then tested the pH and it was very high (more than 8 – bright pink water). This is also unusual as I usually have to add baking soda to raise it, not lower it.

I did buy a truck load of water to top off the pool this spring (we are on a well and can’t handle it). I bought a truck load. I’m not sure how many gallons but it raised the water level about 10 inches. Also my pool, while closed, is not covered during the winter which was pretty mild here this year, so I have a LOT of algae to deal with and I don’t know how this might affect the readings I am getting.

So, do you think my test kit is bad or is it possible my water is incredibly out of balance? I wanted to open this weekend but not sure if I should proceed with no confidence in the readings I am getting. BTW, out of desperation I even used a test strip my wife had for the hot tub and it also indicated high pH and high CYA.

Help!

I guess this means either my CYA has mysteriously gone through the roof or the testing kit is defective.
No, my guess is that your CYA has, in fact, gone to Zero, just like your testing indicated.

It is not uncommon for CYA to be completely consumed over the winter in an algae laden pool......I'm pretty sure that's what's happened in your pool.

Your high pH is not that unusual, either, I would accept your test at face value and use some muriatic acid to see if I could move your pH downward.

I genuinely wish you needed a new kit because I have them in stock but, at the risk of a significant loss of revenue, my guess is your kit is fine but your pool needs some attention :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should the opposite turn out true, I am an email away!! :lol: :lol:

I expect your tests are right. As duraleigh said, CYA does sometimes vanish over the winter. And PH can change up or down noticeably from wind borne dust. Stored in a cool dark place all of the standard test reagents will normally last two years or more. Lots of heat or sunlight can ruin them.

Guys,

Thanks for the quick response! I suspected they were probably right but I didn't want to do anything about raising the CYA until I was comfortable I was getting an accurate reading. We are not only on a well, but a shallow well at that and I didn't want to get my CYA too high and start draining water as I would have to buy more water to bring it down. GUess I better get out there this morning and start raising that CYA and, yes, I know to be VERY careful and only add about half of what I think I need to start!

duraleigh - You can bet I'll get my next test kit from you! I want this site and the people in it to thrive. This forum and the people in it are awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.