Christmas dinner - what's on the menu?

Aug 31, 2010
New Caney, TX 77357
We're having a standing rib roast. I've done these a few times in the past in the smoker but the one I used required a lot of babysitting to stoke the firebox and adjust the dampers to regulate the air flow to try and hold the temperature somewhat constant. This year we'll just be baking it in the oven.

My wife pre-made some dinner rolls (and froze them) but other than that I don't have a clue what sides we are having as she, her Mom and our daughters have done all the planning. I am sure it will be great. :cool:

renovxpt said:
Same here on the turkey. That oil is too expensive and need to get more mileage out of it. Cleaned it and stored it in the crawlspace after Thanksgiving. Sure hope Chem Geek doesn't tell me why I can't use it again.

LOL yeah me too I wasnt really ready for the sticker shock on the oil. Its crazy expensive!

Stevereno, we are also having standing rib roast this year and we will be roasting it in the oven. The sides will be mashed taters w/sour cream & chives (we use green onion tops instead of chives :mrgreen: ),a simple green salad, mandarin orange salad, garlic bread & libations....... :tasty:

ETA: I forgot to mention the au Jus and lots of it!

We're doing a low country boil. Potatoes, corn on the cob, sausage, shrimp and crab legs. I am VERY tired of turkey and all the stress of all the side dishes (augratin potatoes, creamed corn, collard greens, stuffing not to mention the pies! All made from scratch of course).

I'll prep everything then my husband and son do the boil. Put it all in the middle of the table and the party is ON! Clean up? Take the leftovers and any dishes off the table, and roll up the table cloth (newspaper or for Christmas I'll get a vinyl Christmas table cloth that can be thrown away) and just toss everythin in the trash can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My "Christmas Roast" which I do only occasionally. It is a chuck roast done in garlic and crushed tomatoes in a Dutch oven after browning.

Scalloped potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, various breads, homemade 3 ginger gingerbread (powder, fresh, crystallized), various other pies etc.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Doing the same old routine of: visiting the father-in-laws family on Christmas Eve - probably going to be shrimp and wings, just a bunch of finger foods on a plate. Christmas day will be at the mother-in-laws which I've heard it will be really simple soup and some kind of sandwich meal, but she's forgiven due to surgery last week.

My childhood traditions are almost gone..... guess the changes come around when I get old and are the oldest of the generation..... will bring back the turkey for Thanksgiving and the ham on Christmas.

Just a Virginia man following the southern family ways of Mississippi life I guess.

Late to the game, but our Christmas dinner has always been simple...go to the deli on Christmas eve and buy sub rolls and all different kinds of meats/cheeses/condiments. Everyone makes their own sandwiches on a paper plate. No cooking or dishes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.