Grounding pump question (video)

I have never seen a band clamp bonded like that. Usually, if a piece of equipment is supposed to be bonded, the manufacturer will include a bonding lug on the equipment and an instruction in the installation manual.

I don't think that it is required or helpful.

CraigMW said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
CraigMW said:
I always thought it was just the electrified equipment on the pool pad that needed to be bonded (e.g. pumps, heaters, blowers, panels), and these are always supplied with bonding lugs. I have a stainless DE filter and I don't see any supplied bonding lug on it, which fits with my theory. I too would like to hear an expert's understanding of this.
Your rebar in the decking, ladders, etc are typically bonded also.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Correct, but that would be the deck, etc, next to the pool water. I think the bonding requirement extends to either 3 or 5 feet from the water. I haven't heard anything about bonding of the pool pad rebar, etc. I was describing the equipment at the pool pad, which would (by code) not be right next to the pool. So, the quandary is really the need for bonding of various pieces of equipment on the equipment pad in contact with the water via plumbing.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Sent via Tapatalk...

The biggest point to all this is that it doesn't matter what you or I think is right, it's what the inspector says that counts. :(

What renovxpt said is the most correct. "In general, if the inspector wants it bonded, it gets bonded"

Bama Rambler said:
The biggest point to all this is that it doesn't matter what you or I think is right, it's what the inspector says that counts. :(

What renovxpt said is the most correct. "In general, if the inspector wants it bonded, it gets bonded"

How true, indeed! In my experience, these folks are just doing their job in keeping all of us safe. I recall when we had to replace the gas line to the heater and being annoyed that the inspector required a pressure test that initially didn't pass muster. My frustration was based on haste to get the project done, but I'm really glad he insisted and made the plumbers come back out and do it right. The consequences of not doing it right are unthinkable. I'm glad the inspector was there to make sure it was installed correctly. Now, I'm much more careful to make sure things are done to code and with an inspection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.