Additional tests needed for spa?

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
I have just added a spa to the backyard and already use the Taylor K-2006 for my pool. What additional test kit stuff will I need to test chemicals (bromine?) in the spa (Sundance 780 series Chelsee model). They gave me strips but don't think I want to use 'em.

Thanks, Ben.

I started off with bromine. After about a month I switched to bleach. To be honest I fill the tub with fresh water and add baking soda and calcium chloride and then just bleach when needed. Sometimes I add muriatic acid as the pH tends to drift upwards.

Your kit for your pool is more than adequate for your tub. You need nothing else.
(the strips are okay for getting a quick and rough idea of what the chemistry is)

Unsure about drop kits, but with comparators and (basic) photometers (ie DPD reagents) you can test the bromine residual using the chlorine DPD reagents and multiplying the result by 2.25 for a bromine residual, hopefully someone with knowledge of Taylor Tests can confirm or decline if it works the same way.

If that is the case, you wouldn't need any extra test equipment whatsoever, as for the test strips either throw them away, or take tests with them after using your Taylor and laugh at how horrendously incorrect the results are.

Edit > if you do decide to change to chlorine (bleach) you have a ready to use, balanced and disinfected supply in your pool that can be used to fill the spa with, it saves balancing two pools of water

chem geek said:
I'd suggest starting out with Dichlor for about a week to build up some CYA in the water before you switch to using bleach.

forgot to mention I did add cyanuric acid. I purchased 4lb container I believe. I calculated how much i needed based on gallons of the spa and then measured out how much i needed in grams on a food scale. In other words I just treat it like a tiny pool that needs to be drained every 3 months. A digital food scale does help out a lot with a spa since it doesn't take much to throw the levels off wildly unlike a pool that you can usually work your way up to the desired level.

The suggestion: 'Edit > if you do decide to change to chlorine (bleach) you have a ready to use, balanced and disinfected supply in your pool that can be used to fill the spa with, it saves balancing two pools of water' is great idea! you guys are great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.