Borates and Exzema

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hi all,
This past summer was my first season with borates. One of the things I noticed was that my 4-year old daughters exzema practically totally cleared up. When the season was over in September, the dry itchy scaly skin returned. We took her out of fall swimming lessons at the local pool because the water is terrible for her skin. So I figured perhaps I would try adding borates to her bath water. And yes, it works. It softens her skin and takes away the itching. So I am wondering if there are any negative effects to this. Obviously I can't gauge the parts per million. I just sprinkle some in and turn on the jets. Can this be harmful to my daughter. Thanks in advance for any info you may offer.

GC

If they get high enough and she stays in the water long enough it could expose her to above recommended levels. However you CAN use the Pool Calc to figure how much to add to the tub. In 30 gals of water ~2 oz of borax will raise the borates to about 50 ppm.

GreatCanadian, I'm glad it's effective for her. Boric acid is a component of bath bombs, just so you know, so if you use a little moderation, I'm certain you'll be fine.

And thanks again for the great science, ChemGeek, I'll go take a read!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.