Bullnose tile pool edge

My pool doesn't have what I think of as coping. Rather it has bullnose tile mounted as shown in the picture. Frankly, it sucks. Without an overhang, water splashes out with even moderate activity. Since you can see from the picture I have some work ahead, I'm wondering if there's a simple tile replacement with the shape I need. Because of the way it's poured, adding regular coping tiles would mean raising the patio or having a lip around the pool, neither of which are appealing solutions.

I'm also hoping to get away from the YMCA look and go toward more natural earth tones.

Any ideas out there?

PC1600022_zpsc8ca23d3.jpg

Depends on how big of a project you are up for.
You could cut back the current decking a foot or 2 and pour a cantaliever coping
or
you could cut it back and install paver coping
or
possibly remove all the old tile and reinstall a cantaliever tile much like what is used in bathrooms for chair rail decor.

You cannot put ANY tile back like your current tile is installed without it cracking and falling off.

The problem is the old tile was installed incorrectly in that it straddles the decking and the pool wall joint. That joint cannot be straddled because the decking and the pool wall do not move in the same direction.

Done correctly, you will need to keep tile installed below that joint and then redo the deck in some fashion that pleases you. Polyurethane caulk needs to fill the joint.

duraleigh said:
You cannot put ANY tile back like your current tile is installed without it cracking and falling off.

The problem is the old tile was installed incorrectly in that it straddles the decking and the pool wall joint. That joint cannot be straddled because the decking and the pool wall do not move in the same direction.

Done correctly, you will need to keep tile installed below that joint and then redo the deck in some fashion that pleases you. Polyurethane caulk needs to fill the joint.
I think I understand. You're saying that in the picture I can see both the pool wall and the decking, as well as the separation between them. The deck moves differently than the pool wall, and that's why the tile cracked. I can see that now, from the picture.

So my best alternative is probably to cut the deck back far enough to install normal coping tile with an overhang, then probably retile the waterline as well. There's no real solution that avoids seriously reworking the deck.

Is that it?

Good morning,

Yes, that's it. Way back, the PB made the mistake.

The pool wall and the deck still move independently of each other (minutely, of course) but will crack any tile or masonry product that won't flex.

Your idea to cut the deck back and install normal coping tile is gonna be probably the best fix.

Then, the joint between the vertical tile on the pool wall and the new coping tile must be filled with a flexible caulk....not grout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.