CH 900 and FC11, Should i be worried

Nov 29, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I decided to take things over and to let go my PB.
I got the Tf100 kit and gave it a first try last weekend:

FC 11
CC 0
T/A 70
CH 900
CYA 36

I'm thinking i should do something, these numbers don't look right to me...
And i'm thinking that i should have checked on the PB more often...

18000 Gallons
LA area
Sand filter and 1hp pump soon to be replaced by Intelliflo and Clean&Clear RP filter

jacspill,

While you are sorting out what to do about the high CH, lower the pH down to around 7.2 using muriatic acid. That should prevent any calcium scale.

Re-test your CH......it's a hard test and repetition makes you a little better at it. If it's still 900......

Test you fill water for CH. Unless it outrageous, (500+) then I suggest you replace a good portion of your water and that will lower your CH.

I have no idea what chlorine was put in the pool before, the only thing I know is that the guy was pouring 1 gallon of bleach every week in the pool and in the summer it was 2 gallons...
I never saw him do any other test than throwing a little bit of something from a bottle into the pool and looking at the change of color, that's when I started to think about firing the guy.
I'll start trying to lower the pH and test my fill water.

Jacspill said:
I have no idea what chlorine was put in the pool before, the only thing I know is that the guy was pouring 1 gallon of bleach every week in the pool and in the summer it was 2 gallons...
I never saw him do any other test than throwing a little bit of something from a bottle into the pool and looking at the change of color, that's when I started to think about firing the guy.
I'll start trying to lower the pH and test my fill water.

Yikes! That doesn't sound like any testing I'm familiar with...

CalHypo would have looked like a powder that he would either predilute or toss in and then brush or otherwise circulate to ensure it didn't sit on the bottom before dissolving.

Testing the CH is hard as mentioned... you have to go faster than you want to when you are new to it. If you haven't looked around for them search youtube and find the videos of the TF100 tests being performed - these use Taylor chemistry and are valid if you have Taylor K-2006 or TF100 kits (some specific glassware might be different).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
Make sure to wipe the titrant dropper tip with a damp cloth to get rid of any static electricity so that you get well-formed drops and not squirts.
That plus going faster made a big difference in my own testing early on.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.