Lining with tile

txt4

Dec 7, 2012
I'm looking at lining options, and really wanting something smoother than plaster. I have heard that adding a vinyl liner to a gunite shell is a bad idea, so was wondering about tiling the entire pool surface. Is there a reason it isn't done often?

Does anyone know of a good reference on how to tile a pool - type and size of tile, concrete prep-work and mortar, where to find supplies, etc.

It's expensive! I believe that's the primary reason. Tiled pools are very common in other parts of the world.

Nothing wrong with adding a vinyl liner either. It just has to be measured very carefully, and the surface made very smooth.

I've had a bad experience with a gunite pool converted to vinyl liner. Everything on my end went fine, the pool already have a track for the vinyl liner. The problem is that the gunite pool itself is designed to hold water. Somehow water started to collect behind the liner and the liner started to float. Once you get water under the liner it doesn't leave very quickly on it's own (like a typical vinyl liner pool)

We are just building now and will finish with a "mini pebble" surface. On the samples it was smoother than the other standard surfaces and not that much more expensive. Our water line tile looks nice but I don't think I'd want an entire pool of tile - especially with grout lines? Not sure if I properly understand your objections or goals (and full disclosure here... I knew nothing about pools until we started building ours last month so ymmv)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.