New Pool...How much to start up

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I have a new 24ft round pool with 50 inches of water=4.1 ft... Aproximately 14,000 gallons

I am unsure of what to do as far as opening up a new pool...Right now in Northwest Indian we have been having weather in the upper 50s to upper 60s...This weekend 70s and next week 60s and 70s...

I would like to use the BBB method...but what levels should I work toward getting the pool to and the maintaining...Do I need to shock now...should I shock now and then maintain, or wait until the weather and water warm up...

I just got electric on Wednesday and have just started running filter and skimmer. What is the best way to go from here?

If this is a new pool, you will probably need to get some stabilizer, CYA, in there so that you can actually keep chlorine in there. If you have no algae, then I don't see why you would need to shock, just maintain whatever level of chlorine you need according to how much CYA you have.

Hi Cubby and congrats on your new pool :lol:

I suggest you balance your water now. You can start by reading the following two stickies:

The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry by duraleigh,

http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4953 and

"BBB" or "What are all these pool chemicals?" by Waterbear

http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=94

Also, have your fill water tested. That way you will always know what you are starting with and what you will be adding!

A good test kit is the BEST investment we made in our pool. The TF Test kit sold here by duraleigh is the best kit for the money, IMHO. Link in my sig.

Also, list all your pool and equipment info in your sig. This is needed for those trying to answer any questions you may have.

If you have questions after reading the stickies, post back and someone will help you! :lol: Happy swimming.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.