Poop in the pool

EskimoPie said:
Thanks Jason, I've seen also those tradeoffs... I maintain about 4ppm chlorine with only a 30% setting 8 hours a day on my IC20 SWCG so I'm thinking the ozone isn't really destroying all that much chlorine, or my ozone generator isn't working all that great.

What I'm really wondering though is how effective the ozone is on killing the nasty bugs like Crypto. Assuming all pool water makes it through the plumbing once per day, can I safely assume no Crypto will survive more than a day in my pool?
First of all, you do not need to be concerned about Giardia or Crypto in residential pools unless you have someone over swimming who is ill which is unlikely. These pathogens don't spontaneously generate and aren't in the normal environment around pools. They are introduced by sick people, period. This link gives a survey of recreational water illnesses and in public and commercial pool environments, virtually all illnesses except these protozoan oocysts were due to inadequate sanitation. The Giardia and especially Crypto were sometimes in pools that had inadequate sanitation, but outbreaks were also found in pools with adequate sanitation. Again, this is public pools where this is the main issue because there are a LOT of people who go into the pool and it only takes one ill person.

Ozone is not as effective as UV for inactivating Crypto. It takes minutes for even a 90% reduction let alone 99% or higher and your ozonator may not be that powerful anyway. Ozone is looked at as an alternative for sanitizing drinking water, but for public and commercial pool environments it looks like UV and microfiltration will be the main routes towards at least partial prevention though the report I linked to does mention ozonation as an alternative. As noted in the report, swimming is essentially communal bathing.

So I wouldn't worry about getting ill from your pool if you properly sanitize it. The only risk of any sort is having someone else swim in it who is ill with a parasitic disease and even then you'll only get a gastrointestinal illness and not likely to be seriously ill (it's not fatal).

Richard

Hi everyone... Just had an unfortunate incident and while looking for answers on what to do, I found this little gem.

BUT, I am still at a loss as to how to proceed in my situation. Accident was 6yo family member just having way too much fun, thought she needed to fart and... Well, now I'm here. Nothing floating or residuals that I could see. All was contained in her suit. She has a cold that out entire household already has...

So...

Do I shock it? Slam it? What should I do?...

Thanks for all your help Gurus...

If it will ease your mind, bring it up to slam level, let it sit overnight and check the FC in the morning. If you are still above your minimum FC target level then go ahead and swim.

Thanks Zea3,

An hour after the incident, I tested and my FC dropped back to 5.5 from 6.5 and the PH looks suspiciously higher than it did at 7.6, but not at 7.8 yet. My daughter had some neighborhood kids over for a couple of hours in between tests.

So, I am taking that advice and have added the pool math appropriate amount of bleach. I'll shock it overnight and fingers crossed in the morning I'm not looking at a massive drop.

P.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.