Closing Pool in Central Texas

TK13LG

Mar 19, 2012
First time pool owner. We put in a fiberglass pool this past summer so this is our first winter with it.

I didn't plan on closing the pool as we only get a couple of freezing days during the winter. Tonight is our first night dropping below freezing. I checked my pump and it does NOT have an automatic turn on when the tempature get below freezing. Should I just run the pool during the coldest parts of the night?

That is the safest option ... to keep the water moving.

Although in reality, it likely takes much longer than a few hours below 32 degrees for anything to freeze solid to cause damage. Keep in mind though that if it is also windy, that will pull the heat out of exposed pipes faster.

Lots of people in Tucson got burst pipes last year (although I do not recall hearing about pool plumbing, just house plumbing since typically the metal supply comes out of the ground and then enters the house) when the weather got below freezing over night and there was a lot of wind.

We get a lot of wind since we are up on a hill, but I checked the water temp an it was at 74, so I don't think it will freeze even though we are suppose to reach 28 tonight. I just want to be save since my husband isn't home to tend to the pool. I guess I'll run it from 2am-6am.

I'm way NE of you in Texas and didn't have any problems in Feb. of last year when we had that 4 day freakish run where it never broke above freezing. Just ran the pump and made sure my generator was good to go in case we lost power. 100 watt bulb on a drop cord light under a tarp is good. Also bought some of that low voltage heating cord like is used on mobile home pipes "just in case". That covered with some aluminum backed/foam adhesive tape works wonders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.