New to the forums. Hi. A few minor ?s

Nov 30, 2012
Hi, I purchased a house with a pool about a year ago. I had in a previous life messed with a pool myself so I was familiar with how it works. I was lazy and just let a service do it for the summer. I didn't want to risk anything. I've been doing it solo since September with few issues at all thanks to the help here.

Basics:
Dallas, TX
15,000 gal
Spa with spillover and waterfall at back corner with an added option to use a weeping wall around 125 degrees of the L shaped pool
5' deep at deepest
Twin 2hp pumps (don't ask)
Pentair DE Filter
Jandy wireless system for all the timers and stuff
A very finicky Polaris 3900 Sport that needs constant TLC

Pool is heavily shaded by trees and landscaping.

This thing probably cost a fortune to put in originally. :cheers:

I have a couple of minor questions.

So the prior owner had a SWG, but pulled the cell out. I'm somewhat mildly considering putting a new cell back in. That's a decision I'll wait on for later. I am halfway thinking about doing SWG in summer season only and BBB in the fall. That seems to be more popular for $$$ reasons.

Q1) However, I still see white streaks in my rock work in some places which I assume are salt stains. I haven't tried to get the stains out. If I do decide to do it what is the best way? I mean I have a pressure washer, but I don't want to blast rock right above the water level. That may not be good for the filter?

Q2) I have been surprised by the rise in ph I get. From reading here the waterfalls I have and spillover is a cause of this. When helping with pools before I hardly ever had to adjust ph, ever. Now it's 2x a week I'm putting about 10oz of MA in. Considering borates in the spring, but may consider it now.

Q3) I have a hard time seeing CYA white/black due to some individual issues. Is there a different test other than the Taylor one you all like? I've just been having the wife do it or taking to store.

Q4) My pool holds FC very well. Many of you seem to be putting in far, far more Cl than I am. This always makes me nervous, but so far I am trusting my test kits and all is fine. If this holds and I don't add bulk cya I may just go to a 50/50 split of pucks/bleach to carry CYA up during periods where I travel. This seems to be done very seldom here. Is there something about pucks I'm missing for use in getting CL and CYA for "free"?

I may have more ???s later but the forums here have nearly all topics covered so well.

Streaks in the rock are probably efflorescence from the mortar, not from salt. If it's salt, it will rinse right off. You probably will need to use some diluted MA and a scrub brush to remove it.
Borates should help with the frequency of acid additions; maybe you'll have to add 20 oz once a week instead of 10 oz twice.
The black dot test is the most reliable. Better to have your wife do it than the pool store.
How big is your pool? That is the biggest factor in how much chlorine you need. What test kit are you using?

I'll take some shots of the stains. I would like to get rid of them. They have been there since we moved in and have not changed in appearance leading to my conclusion they were from SWG.

I agree with everything MITS said.

Just going to add that there is nothing wrong with using the pucks ... ASSUMING ... you understand exactly what they are adding to the pool. Most puck users do not know they add CYA nor do they even test often enough. So, if your CYA is a little below the recommended value, then there is no problem using the pucks. Additionally, they are acidic and will help to keep the pH in check. Just realize that eventually you have to stop using them as the CYA will get too high, unless you backwash a lot of water often.

You did not list your location. Many people with short swim seasons that then drain part of the pool for the winter can use pucks all season since over the winter they end up lowering the CYA level.

There are also many members that use the pucks when they are going to be on vacation for awhile to maintain the FC, knowing the CYA will go up. This forum really is about understanding what you are putting the pool and why. With pucks, you are affecting FC, CYA, pH, and TA some ... so while easy to use, they are more complicated to understand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.