HELP!!! - Cracked Pool Filter

Mr_Ben

Dec 9, 2012
I'm in escrow and about to purchase a house with a pool. However, we've found that the housing/cover for the filter is cracked and leaking when the pumps are on.

I'm curious about the following and am hoping someone may be able to help.

A. What is the brand of this filter? I know its a long shot to be able to identify the filter from one picture, but the seller is very difficult and is giving me a hard time inspecting the equipment.

B. If the picture is downloaded in full resolution, one can zoom in and see the crack. Is this something that can be repaired? If so, what can it be repaired with? Should it be replaced?

C. Can anyone recommend a good, but reasonably priced pool inspector in the Los Angeles, CA / San Fernando Valley area?

Thank you in advance!

Here's the picture:
PoolFilter-Cracked.jpg

IMHO - I would have the pool inspected and everything fixed. When we bought our house we had several things wrong with the pool and they ended up costing WAY more then what the pool inspector said. 25 dollars for a light repair turned into a entire new fixture at 500 dollars. The pool inspector said less then 400 and the total repair was close to 2 grand. However if you like me have a house that is undervalued It would not stop me from buying. Just my 2 cents.

Repairing a cracked filter housing isn't practical. Just figure on replacing the filter.

It's probably this filter (SMBW 4060). Is there a label?

4000series_filter.jpg

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/4000seriesDS.pdf

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... rs-152.htm

You might be able to find a reasonably priced replacement part. However, you might need to replace the entire filter. In any case, a cracked filter should not be used or repaired.

Two examples of possible replacement parts.

http://www.sears.com/pentair-replacemen ... 359685601P

http://www.discountpoolmart.com/product ... ts_id=2276

Before investing in a replacement part, you should consider the age and general condition of the filter. If it is old, then it is probably better to buy a whole new filter.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Fiberglass the inside and outside for a temp fix.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I don't think that is a good idea, as the others have stated.

You are talking about a pressure vessel and a little fiberglass on the inside (outside would do nothing) is not going to keep the thing from potentially rupturing and having pieces go flying. There is a reason you need to make sure the pump is off to relieve the pressure in the filter before removing the strap ... the top will go flying. Lots of potential energy stored in there when the pump is on.

jblizzle said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
Fiberglass the inside and outside for a temp fix.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I don't think that is a good idea, as the others have stated.

You are talking about a pressure vessel and a little fiberglass on the inside (outside would do nothing) is not going to keep the thing from potentially rupturing and having pieces go flying. There is a reason you need to make sure the pump is off to relieve the pressure in the filter before removing the strap ... the top will go flying. Lots of potential energy stored in there when the pump is on.
No offense but pool pressure is low and fiberglass rockets are very very strong. I build them and we deal with much higher pressure than the 20 psi in a filter. Some single use motors are made from fiberglass and can withstand 750 psi and temps in excess of 200C.

The reason for inside outside is to try to bond chemically through the crack rather than just mechanically. If it were me the one worry would be that fiberglass doesn't adhere well to plastic. So I might actually add some additional grip by scuffing the inside surface. If a test strip wouldn't bond I'd maybe try adding some tiny holes through the area of the repair and compress layers from both sides so they could bond through the holes.

Again only for temp fix, and only based on the way it appears damaged.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Pressure vessels and rocket motors are two very different animals and a comparison can't and shouldn't be made. Pool filters aren't designed to withstand the pressure that rocket motors are and that filter has been subjected to time, UV, and all sorts of contamination.

It's never a good idea to home repair a pressure vessel of any type. You're asking to get hurt if you do.

Yes there is a proper way to repair it but it would cost more than a new body.

You have to remember that the potential energy is the pressure times the area. A pool filter has a lot of area that the lower pressure is applied to ... much more than the smaller rocket with an open end.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
You have to remember that the potential energy is the pressure times the area. A pool filter has a lot of area that the lower pressure is applied to ... much more than the smaller rocket with an open end.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I'm well aware of that - ejection charges are calculated that way. The thing is it doesn't matter one bit what the total pressure is over the entire case to the patch - the only relevant areas are the places exposed that are patched. The area of the patch I would be suggesting is smaller than many rocket motors. The hole in the end of the rocket is meaningless - the chamber pressure is meaningful - without a hole we'd have a bomb that would reach the max pressure and rupture. But I understand the caution. If the flaw is larger than it appears and the patch holds but the area above or below the patch fails you have a VERY dangerous situation.

Personally I'd replace the thing. If there was an emergency need I might patch it if it seemed possible - but given the fact it cracked already you are probably right - as the rest of the structure is now suspect.

Bama Rambler said:
Pressure vessels and rocket motors are two very different animals and a comparison can't and shouldn't be made. Pool filters aren't designed to withstand the pressure that rocket motors are and that filter has been subjected to time, UV, and all sorts of contamination.

It's never a good idea to home repair a pressure vessel of any type. You're asking to get hurt if you do.

Yes there is a proper way to repair it but it would cost more than a new body.

You have a good set of points there... I can see how the rest of the structure could give way unexpectedly even if the patch held.

Given that I had a fiberglass filter crack and drain my pool at my previous house ... I would just not want to take the chance of that happening and would replace the filter. That is likely more of a concern than an explosive rupture anyways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.