Pool functions turning on randomly.

Dec 9, 2012
I have an in ground gunite saltwater pool with the pentair easy touch remote control box inside the house. Lately it has been turning the hot tub jets on by itself at random days and times. This morning I was woken by my child informing me the hot tub was empty and spraying water in the air. The hot tub jet light was on again and the hot tub was 2/3 drained and the jets were spraying. (This isn't the first time that has happened.) Unlike before, simply pressing the button was not working and I had to go outside to turn it off poolside. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is causing the jets to turn on randomly and at other times, it drains itself while the jets are going?

Have you checked the Easytouch Panel programs? It could be set to turn on in spa mode. You could reset back to factory defaults or it could also be remote RF interference (some neighbors remote causing your wireless to start)

I don't believe resetting the easy touch controls is the issue since different options turn on at different times of the day. One day it is the hot tub jets, the next time pool lights, etc. Possible RF issues is something I could see being a problem. Not sure how to check, but since I don't have any better ideas, I'll start with that. Thanks.

Could be way off base here, but have you checked the freeze protection? I think every separate feature can have freeze protection "enabled" or "disabled", even with different temperature settings. I got nailed with this once when I had opened my solar panels for the winter to drain, and I had shut off the solar circuit for the winter, but then the freeze protection kicked in and water shot out for awhile and drained an inch or two out of my pool.

Don

I recently had the same problem of either the spa jets or the blower turning on randomly, and it turned out to be a bad spa-side remote. My unit is a Pentair iS4, and once I replaced that all has been fine.

Not sure if you have the same remote, but it might be worth taking a look at if you do. All this is very, very new to me so I'm sorry I don't have any more to add beyond this. Replacement did fix the (same) problem, in my case anyway.

You know it is funny you mentioned the spa side remote. I have that too and it did go out a few weeks prior to me noticing the random issues with the control box inside the house. I'm new to pools too so I don't see how one could be related to the other. But then again, It wouldn't hurt to replace it first since I need to do that anyway.

OK, I just pulled the spa side remote and it was full of water. Probably not a good thing I'm thinking. So I disconnected it at the fuse box panel. So I'll give it a day or two and see if that resolves the problem. By the way, I Google searched that part and it is $150.00. SERIOUSLY! Anyone know of a cheaper parts supply store?

Tyler

I was able to find one on eBay for a little less, but not much. I would agree that they are expensive for what they are, but makes for an easy fix if that is indeed the problem.
Well worth disconnecting it from the control panel for a while to see if that is your problem before spending the money on a new one.

Well it turns out it was the spa side control panel. I disconnected it at the fuse box and no issues for the last three days. Thanks LSE08, you probably saved me a lot of hair pulling and time.

That is good news tdhamby! After the wealth of information and schooling I have received from this forum I am very happy that I have been able to contribute in some small way.
Here's to hoping that a new spa side remote ends all the problems you have had. So far the gremlins have stayed away from my new remote!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great informative thread. I woke up one morning to my spa light cycling on and off. The only way I could get it to stop is to turn off the power to the controller and restart it. It then started the next evening again. I worked my way through several scenarios, and ultimately disconnected the spa-side remote. No problems for the past 24 hours.

Thanks.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.