new pool purposal- 20x40 inground vinyl with 8x8 spa

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
Hello all,

We have been getting some quotes for a new pool, we sold our previous home which we had a vinyl pool installed, we learned a lot through the process and this place has been an amazing resource for us. On to the new home- we purchased 8 acres and are in the process of building our dream home with a vineyard, and we are planning on putting in a 20x40 vinyl inground pool with a partially raised spa. Most of the quotes we have recieved have been in the same range giver or take a couple of thousand.

What we have decided on specifically so far is as followed,

20x40 in ground pool with a 8ft deep end. We are set on doing the 20ft vinyl covered steps, limestone coping, an automatic cover. We are still trying to decide on the lighted deck jets and would LOVE any input on them as we just had the standard ones before. We are wanting to do a spa 8x8ft inground fiberglass shell, plumbing completely seperate so we can still use the hot tub in the winter and avoiding sharing equipment so we can do so. We are leaning towards using our previous pool builder because he did an outstanding job, he is right in the middle with pricing at 53k for the pool and 17k for the spa. He does include the gravel backfill, all of the water for the pool (because we will be on a well, we want a complete fill up.) We will also be doing the easy touch and salt water chlorine generator. 4 LED pool lights, Sand filter, VS pump, and a heat pump, 3 skimmers, 4 returns, and main drain and 2 inch plumbing. None of the bids include decking yet because we aren't sure which way we are leaning (stamped concrete, pavers, or ultimently I would love to have the full range bluestone). We already have a 20x12 covered porch going on the home for shade and entertainment and our landscape designers have put together a beautiful plan that includes an out door kitche, stone fireplace, and pretty much everything we have ever wanted outside.

I know we would love any input on anything we may have missed, its a lot going on and just wanted some opinions on what we are looking to do. All of the equipment will be Pentair, and we had it previously and feel comfortable with all of it.

Attachments

• Landscape design1.jpeg
    Landscape design1.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 369
  • landscape design2.JPG
    landscape design2.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 369
As well, We want to keep with the french country theme, so any opinions that could help keep it along the french country would be great, any decorations or decking ideas would be very help full. Here are some pictures of the home and the covered porch (we are doing 3 french doors on the patio vrs the windows and one door) So you can all get a good idea of the theme we are going for.

Also a side note, if you know of anything that would enhance the french country astetics on the house please let us know!! we are always looking for more ideas.

Attachments

• front of house.JPG
    front of house.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 370
  • Back of house.jpeg
    Back of house.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Land sold sign.jpeg
    Land sold sign.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 369
Make CERTAIN the vinyl steps have some sort of tread/texture. I have one customer that went the vinyl step route, but without tread/texture. THEY ARE EXTREMLY SLIPPERY. I had to install a handrail so that he could haul himself out of the pool. The handrail addition was not the most aesthetically pleasing, as I could not drill into the deck at that point because of some structural steel issues. I ended up using a top mount flange anchored in the concrete.

Depending on the brand of automatic cover, and pool wall manufacturer you may have to pour concrete at the top of the wall to make the warranty good. Also if the auto cover track is not anchored into concrete it will not be considered a safety cover. I am a builder and if you aren't enclosing the pool I wouldn't spend the extra for a laminar deck jet.

I might suggest taking a look at the StoneMakers product which can be used for both walls and patios. It is concrete with additives that allow it to be formed into walls/steps, etc. without forms. Then it gets carved to look like whatever you would like, then stained to your specs. The same is true for patio/pool decking. It is carved and stained to your desires. So, though I'm not familiar with what patterns would be appropriate for a french country theme, if you find a look you like it can be recreated with this product. It is installed by licensed dealers only.

My PB is more so a landscape/hardscape guy and he is sold on it if you can't afford real stone (we can't). We are going with about 1800 s.f. of decking and a 75' wall made of it. Our decking on the low side of the pool will be installed in the "turned down" method, so basically another 75' wall on the lower side, again carved/colored to our specs. For our application it was a little more than concrete, actually a little less than pavers and a block style wall and less than stone (though we never even priced that). Not sure how or why that was the case exactly regarding pricing but we hope to pleased. We are building in Jan/Feb in the MD, which should be interesting.

I love your lot and I'm sure it will be fantastic when all is complete.

Thank you for all of your input thus far! -

Swimcmp- why would you not recommend the lighted deck jets if we arent enclosing the pool? As well, we are probably going to do a 3 ft walk on the side where we wanted the grass to meet the coping due to the things you stated above, and we have talked with a few people that have said its difficult to keep grass and such in that type of condition.

bmoreswim- Thank you for that great tip! I googled it and its something we are going to ask our pool builder about- also our landscape designers because we think we are going to use them vrs the pool builder for the rest of the decking and landscaping. I can't wait to see some updated on your pool!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.