Outdoor Speaker Solutions

Jul 18, 2012
I am looking at different ways of bringing music out to me new pool area in the springtime. I have options available to me since the patio hasn't been poured yet so running speaker cable is still an option.

I am looking at 3 primary ways of doing this and I'm hoping people can give me some ideas on what would work best.

1. Outdoor media center - I currently have a Logitech Squeezebox radio that I use throughout my house. It connects to my PC using a server software and let's me stream things like Pandora, Slacker Radio, Internet radio and my home audio collection. I have been looking for a larger version of this device but Logitech no longer makes them and I can't seem to find anything similar. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Wireless Outdoor Speakers - Whether it looks like a rock or a cone, I don't really care. But a wireless system would need to have good range and an easy way to connect a smartphone/tablet or home stereo system so I can play all of the types of items I mentioned in number 1 above. My wife showed me one by Brookstone that I'm using as my basis for comparing others. What I am finding is that there are so many, I have no clue what would be good or just plain Crud. Anyone here use something they love?

3. My other option is taking my older Onkyo home theater receiver and move it to my garage and physically wire a set of outdoor speakers to it. I could hang them on the back of my garage which will be in the pool area and/or run additional outdoor wire to various parts of what will become my patio and put in speakers around the patio.

My budget is kind of open but would like to keep it to under $500. This is not a high end audiophile system I am trying to build. Just an easy way to get music out to the pool area. I am fully capable of running and hooking everything up so no worries on that.

Thoughts? Opinions?

some other info is that the pool area will be surrounded by a fence that is 72' in length and about 45' wide. The garage is about 15' from the start of the shallow end so spekers on the garage should technically be loud enough.

This will sound kind of cheesy, but this is the best solution I've found.

I use the older version of one of these:
http://www.tss-radio.com/products/siriu ... tem-sxabb2

I plug one of these into it:
http://www.tss-radio.com/products/siriu ... it-sdsv6v1

I have plug-in kits in my Jeep and truck, and have the boombox for around the house and pool. This allows me to move around one radio and one subscription into multiple locations. The music on satellite is more varied than Pandora, and there are no commercials like FM. The system sounds excellent, it fills my entire large yard (the back 3/4 of my 1.25 acre lot). Also, unlike Pandora and the streaming version of SiriusXM, I don't have to get out of the pool occasionally to hit "Yes, I'm still listening". I've tried streaming Pandora, streaming from my server, using my iPhone's onboard music, etc. Nothing has been as convenient for me and my guests as the solution I have here. My original plans were to do as you've outlined above, but after testing various different configurations I settled on what I'm doing now. I don't even think I'll change what we are doing if we get to build our pavilion/bar next year.

I have set my outdoor speakers to my main home amp from my living room. My Receiver is an amp that is a 7.1 system. It allows me to re-assign to of the 7's to their own seperate amp, leaving a 5.1 surround system in my living room and a a 2.0 system on my 2nd amp. I then ran 2 channels outside to my pool and deck area. I used outdoor ground speaker. The kind that look like green cones, and can be buried partially to only leave the speaker portion out of the ground. now the operation portion is done all throguh Wifi. I have wifi in my house and an extra wireless router outside expanding my wifi range. This allows me to utilize my iphone/ipad for everything from here. The Denon receiver has an option for airplay, so anything that is playing from my iphone, if it be sirius/xm, ipod music, internet radio or pandora it streams directly to the UB/Internet input on the receiver. I just tune amp 2 to this input and now my iphone is playing outdoors. Theother thing, the denon receiver has a remote app for the iphone, so once hooked up, you can power on, change stations, control volume and change audio source all with one hand from your raft while your beverage is still in your other. Now if only i could make it all voice activated, i wouldn't have to worry about dropping my phone into the pool. Here are links to the speakers and the receiver I have. You obviously don't have to buy that receiver, you could go with a cheaper model that has networking and airplay functionality.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pag...d=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avr2113ci(denonna)

http://www.ticcorp.com/omni_speaker_gs3.htm

My system is fairly simple. I have an older Ipad (remember those?) on a dock. The dock is connected to an pair of AudioSource AMP-100's, driving 6 speakers. I have a pair of older Bose 101 under the house eaves near the outdoor kitchen and 2 pairs of Monoprice Rock speakers, one pair by the spa and another by the outdoor fireplace. I keep the amps inside the outdoor kitchen island and plug in the Ipad and call up my "islands music" playlist whenever we want music. I used direct bury low voltage lighting wire as my speaker wire, as it has lots of copper and doesn't mind the environment. The system, while simple, gets rave reviews from our guests.

Ipad - there are literilly thosands of Ipads on eBay for less than $50

Link to Amp-100:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-1 ... B00026BQJ6

Link to Monoprice Rock speakers
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Mike W

Glad I posted here as I am getting some good options from people that have done a lot of different setups.

I do like the idea of having something like a Sirius radio or something that isn;t going to keep asking me if I am still listening (my PC and Iphone do that but the Logitech never does which is strange). I do have Sirius radio already in my Jeep but it's built into my factory MyGig radio so I would have to see if there is a way to easily move the subscription from the Jeep to a boombox type device. I do love Pandora, however, as I;ve spent so much time tweaking my stations! LOL!!

I own several Ipod docks currently. I have the B&W Zeppelin mini which i can;t stand and would be useless for outside. Way overpriced for what you get. I have a great system I use in my basement workout area. It's made by Kanto and its their Ipair 5 speaker and dock system. Only issue there is the speakers are heavy to move in and out all the time. If I look to go this route I will look for a more weatherproof docking station.

The wired speakers and recevier is still near top of my list. My older Onkyo doesn't have a lot of the features as newer ones (no wifi, pandora, ipod dock etc..) But it does have a dn b speaker channels so I could eaily run 4 speakers around the patio. I can easily hookup an iphone or tablet using the headphone jack out on device and into the composite auxilary inputs on receiver. I won;t be able to be fancy with wifi remote but I do have a radio frequency Logitech remote I don;t use that would at least control the volume from outside.

Mike...I will be looking at your setup in great detail. I am getting my wife an Ipad for xmas so that couple with the multiple iphones we already have will give us plenty of options for hooking up the dock.

This, like everyhting else with my pool build, is going to cost me a lot more than I thought. LOL!!

Another thing you could do for the ONkyo, while it doesn't have a remote, you could always add an apple TV to it, then you could stream the Ipods that way without needing the dock. The apple tv could be added to anything that allows an input for that matter, then you could set your volume to a set level on the amp device and use the volume level on your ipod as the control.

It is easy to move your subscription from your Jeep to a plug-n-play, you just have to deal with installing the dock in the Jeep and running it as a separate Aux device rather than having it integrated into your factory radio. This is exactly what I did in my Dodge Ram. The dock and cabling will come with your plug-n-play radio. I can give you far more info on how to do this if you go this route.

I have a Pioneer 1021 receiver in my living room and had intentions on using its second zone for the back patio and pool. It's fully controllable through my iPad, so I would not need a remote of any kind to adjust volume, etc. It came down to convenience of just leaving the commercial-free satellite feed on, I don't have that added onto the things I take care of when I'm hosting a party.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you do go with something where you are using your iPhone as a remote I would suggest looking into a LifeProof case for your phone. They are completely waterproof to the level where you can completely submerge your iPhone while using it without any problems.

Two outdoor definitive tech speakers around 200 each outdoor controller from outdoor speaker depot.com 30$ hook it to your age it will rock. That's whAt I did. Also hooked up direct tv to age for pandora and use my iPod through it As we'll good luck

urbanjaybird said:
I have set my outdoor speakers to my main home amp from my living room. My Receiver is an amp that is a 7.1 system. It allows me to re-assign to of the 7's to their own seperate amp, leaving a 5.1 surround system in my living room and a a 2.0 system on my 2nd amp. I then ran 2 channels outside to my pool and deck area. I used outdoor ground speaker. The kind that look like green cones, and can be buried partially to only leave the speaker portion out of the ground. now the operation portion is done all throguh Wifi. I have wifi in my house and an extra wireless router outside expanding my wifi range. This allows me to utilize my iphone/ipad for everything from here. The Denon receiver has an option for airplay, so anything that is playing from my iphone, if it be sirius/xm, ipod music, internet radio or pandora it streams directly to the UB/Internet input on the receiver. I just tune amp 2 to this input and now my iphone is playing outdoors. Theother thing, the denon receiver has a remote app for the iphone, so once hooked up, you can power on, change stations, control volume and change audio source all with one hand from your raft while your beverage is still in your other. Now if only i could make it all voice activated, i wouldn't have to worry about dropping my phone into the pool. Here are links to the speakers and the receiver I have. You obviously don't have to buy that receiver, you could go with a cheaper model that has networking and airplay functionality.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pag...d=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avr2113ci(denonna)

I am really liking the look of these speakers. I've looked them up and they sell for around $70 each on amazon with top notch user reviews. These remind me of speakers you see at amusement parks and things like that.
Seems they are truly weatherproof and last forever.

If I go this route I will need to run speaker wire but that's cheap enough at monoprice.

Any downsides to these? Snow and ice??

mpkelley20 said:
urbanjaybird said:

I am really liking the look of these speakers. I've looked them up and they sell for around $70 each on amazon with top notch user reviews. These remind me of speakers you see at amusement parks and things like that.
Seems they are truly weatherproof and last forever.

If I go this route I will need to run speaker wire but that's cheap enough at monoprice.

Any downsides to these? Snow and ice??

I have had them outside for 2 full years now, installed with outdoor rated monoprice speaker wire. I have no problems at all with these, if there is a complaint it would be from the neighbors if i have them on too late and didn't invite them over. I have been through 2 hurricanes, one of them Sandy, and just recently a foot of snow, as well as plenty of other harsh winter weather here in the North East. I was listening to them outside earlier this evening as I was grilling my dinner. I had the exact thought as you in regards to seeing them in amusement parks, and it really did beat the price of the Bose equivilents. As soon as I expand to more speakers and my inground is complete there will be 2 more of these in my near future.

I just picked up a pair of Bose Free Space 51's off Craigslist for $130.00 (normally $400) http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... &src=K9789
I called Bose and they transferred the Warrenty to me for free! (5 year) they sound incredible! I already have a set of commercial (70v) rock speakers from OSD that we bought 10 years ago and a 4 year old pair of Polk Audio outdoors.
Like a previous poster said, the rock speakers are great (10 years in below freezing, snow, ice & 120+ temps) but they focus sound in an upward direction. The Bose are Omni directional and allowed me to move the rock speakers on the far end of the yard opposite the pool, put the Bose between the pool and the patio then the Polks on the eves of the house.

Now we truely have surround sound. We can't wait for spring to sit in the pool and watch movies on the big screen. ( we've done monthly movie nights for years) now we get to be in the pool!

mpkelley20 said:
What do you use to drive all those speakers? Amp/receiver??
I have a Pioneer receiver I bought while stationed in Germany back in the early 90's. It was one of the first that had micro processor video image repair ( VCR input, digital output with an image enhancer) original true Dolby surround, it has ports for 2 sets of A/B Speaker outputs, sub woofer out, center and rear out (single). 110/220v switchable 50/60 htz.
The wife about had a heart attack when the bill came $950.00 on sale from$1600.00, (that was in 92) it's been fantastic, only needed repair once for the volume knob. It's been cutting in & out lately so hope it stays strong, can't imagine what repairing today would cost.

I have tried using the new Sony receiver, and older Harmon Kardon and even a friends Onkyo but none sounded as good or would handle 6 main speakers plus the center and rears.

I bought a Soundcast Outcast Jr. with iCast transmitter. It's portable, wireless, built-in sub, can run on battery or plugged in, all weather, etc. Plus it actually sounds good. Did I mention it's portable? If you buy two you can link them to run as speaker L and R. I wouldn't leave it sitting outside when not in use though.

0000106_outcast_jr_no_icast.jpeg

I ended up going with these speakers

http://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-150-Watt ... r+speakers

Very similar to the Bose but without the hefty price tag. I also picked up 200' of direct bury speaker cable (stuff is heavy duty!!) and plan on using my Onkyo to drive these speakers for now. I will place one speaker on each side of the pool area right in the middle (once we finalize the patio and landscaping!). I also plan on running some wire to the far end, just in case I need to add a speaker at some point. I;ve seen some Youtube vids of these sepakers and they are quite loud.

My concern now comes down to if my onkyo will be strong enough to power these! LOL!! I may look to add an amp to the setup as well which will make adding speakers and giving additional power much easiler.

As for source of music, among my old Iphone, new iphone, older laptop and my Logitech Squeezebox, I have enough inputs to get my Pandora and other stuff on the system. I even found an app for my iphone that lets me control my squeezebok from my phone so problem solved on chaging stations, skipping songs, etc..

So this forum was a huge help in giving me ideas (I never would have found these speakers!) so thank you to everyone that gave me things to think about. Now, I just need springtime to get here quickly so I can get my pool area done!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.