Can I add a tanning ledge to a vinyl pool?

Dec 4, 2012
Hi! I'm looking at pool designs and was wondering if a tanning ledge can be added to a vinyl pool. I haven't seen any pics or know what direction to look in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

duraleigh said:
The answer is, given enough money, almost everything is possible.

I like that answer, I use that too with my customers. :goodjob:

When you say it's "Expensive" to alter the interior structure of any pool. Are you simply referring to a retrofit of an existing pool? Or are you also referring to building one from scratch and designing said modification(s) into the plans and build?

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough. I'm looking to build a pool from scratch. The guy we are talking to does vinyl pools only. I've been try to explain what a tanning ledge is to him and he is not familiar with them. I was just wondering if tanning ledges were only for gunite pools or if they can be built in to the design of a vinyl pool.
Thanks! And sorry for the confusion.

I would guess that anything is possible. After all, they are able to have vinyl with the fiberglass coves and steps outside the pool walls. I would think it would be the same (if anyone makes them) to have a larger, very shallow "cove".

That said, I recall reading a few posts about people with tanning ledges that wished they did not have them and instead had more room in the pool. Kids will not be on the ledge for long and floating on a chair in the pool gives the same tanning ability. Also I imagine that keeping the ledge clean could be work as well since most cleaners will not get on them.

I have customers with a concret/plaster tanning ledge and the rest of the pool is vinyl.

Can you possibly give me any further information or pics on this? I live in south Arkansas and Finally found a pool builder within 1 hour travel distance & the minute I mentioned tanning ledge he stated not unless Inwent full gunite. I explained I found the kits with vinyl covered steele steps & ledges, & he replied he wasnt familiar with the kits but never recomends vinyl covered steps or ledges. He was pretty addiment about it, even after I told him I disn’t think we could afford a gunite pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a tanning ledge in our vinyl lined pool with two lighted bubblers. The shelf is 6" deep water and we really love it. We use the plastic adirondack chairs on the ledge, the bottom of them has some kind of felt so it doesn't hurt the liner. Also, the liner on the ledge and the steps is textured/non-slippery.

LBG7s7l.jpg

CoStdWG.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.