Barb size

Nov 26, 2012
I need to replace the circulation pump on my hot tub. The model number of the pump is SM-909-NHW-18. While browsing for a replacement, it seems that the barb can be either 3/4" or 1". Unfortunately, it doesn't say what size mine is anywhere on the old pump. I'm fairly sure that it is 3/4", but it would suck to order it and find out that I needed 1" instead. The spa is a Sundance Capri made in 1998. I don't think the circulation pump is the original. How safe do you think it would be for me to order the 3/4" barb? Thanks for any input.

Don

What size hose does it need to connect to? I think barb sizes are based on the inner diameter of the hose.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Eric said that they go by the inner diameter of the hose. I was trying to think of a good way to measure the hose without taking a bath in the water that will come shooting out when I undo the clamp. There aren't any markings on the hose to indicate what size it is. Most every site that sells the replacement pumps only sell the 3/4" barb, so I'm pretty sure that's the right size. If it's not, I guess I can always return it. It would have been a lot easier had the manufacturer actually labeled it on the pump.

Don

What is the outer diameter of the hose? You may also be able to estimate our measure the hose thickness at one of the current connections ... or even back the hose off the broken pump barb slightly.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the 230v which I verified along with the 3/4" barb. The new filter is here and the fix-a-leak seems to be working. I could be issue free very soon! It's going to take a lot of patience to stay out of it while the product cures and I wait for my new pump, but it will be well worth it and save me a ton of needless work.

Don

Hi Christian-
This is what I ended up ordering. http://www.spaandpoolstore.com/6000-125.html. We installed it on Saturday afternoon and it works like a dream. It's very quiet, seems fairly powerful, and the install was easier than I anticipated. The best part is I don't have to babysit the spa to get it up to temp and keep it there. With the new pump and the fix-a-leak seemingly working, I have basically a brand new tub. For being 14 years old it runs wonderfully and is perfect for what I needed it for. The wife has even used it a lot more than I expected.

Don

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.